Three "Feel At Home" changes

nortada

Visit site
As things stand, I intend to use my NOS Mifi (25€ per 30 days, effectively unlimited GB) on a 6 month contract while in Portugal and my 3 Mifi on an annual contract, £15 per month 20GB (12GB in Portugal?) as a mobile back up when travelling away from the boat. I will be interested to see how 3 actually implement Feels At Home post roaming. Reckon they should provide 20GB per month with no strings.

If NOS roaming means what it says then I may dump 3 at the end of the current contract and just use NOS on an annual contract. The only problem may be paying because as I do not have a Portuguese Bank account, I have to pay for NOS monthy in cash.

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Since you can't tether or use your 3 mobile sim in a router, then 12gb is decent amount of use on mobile phone.

I got the message from 3 the other day about the changes. I'm keeping my sim but probably going to buy a foreign data only sim for more proper use.
my 3 PAYG data sim is in my 3g dongle and works ok with tablet and phone for data.

Yngmar

Visit site
We've roamed outside the UK continuously for exactly 3 months yesterday. My Three Feel at Home (monthly 20 GB contract) still works today (fingers crossed, but I expect to be cut off any day now).

I can also confirm that you get a warning from Three before reaching the 12 GB roaming limit per month and incurring significant costs - if you look at your 4G dongle's text message section.

The crew's giffgaff PAYG has cut her EU roaming off yesterday (with SMS notification telling her so - on the day, no prior warning). She'd now pay the extremely high pre-EU roaming fees per MB/text/minute if she was to use any data/texts/calls.

Since we've decided to stay in Portugal for winter, I'll be getting the NOS 6 month deal here and see how long they let us roam once we leave :)

Visit site
Been away since May and constantly using my UK 3 sim in my mobile. Averaging around 10gb a month.

The website does specifically say that it is not for use on extended travel, but my only problem has been when buying the Data Passport add-on to allow me to tether. Despite the add-on allowing unlimited tethering for 24 hours, tethering was blocked and even now Three have been unable to solve the problem.

jordanbasset

Visit site
On the recommendation from some one on the forum I bought a three pay as you go data sim for use on a mifi, it was around £30 for 24 gb from Amazon(now it is the same price for 12gb)
Have used it throughout the summer in Greece without any problems, both myself and my wife can log onto it.

nortada

Visit site
We've roamed outside the UK continuously for exactly 3 months yesterday. My Three Feel at Home (monthly 20 GB contract) still works today (fingers crossed, but I expect to be cut off any day now).

I can also confirm that you get a warning from Three before reaching the 12 GB roaming limit per month and incurring significant costs - if you look at your 4G dongle's text message section.

The crew's giffgaff PAYG has cut her EU roaming off yesterday (with SMS notification telling her so - on the day, no prior warning). She'd now pay the extremely high pre-EU roaming fees per MB/text/minute if she was to use any data/texts/calls.

Since we've decided to stay in Portugal for winter, I'll be getting the NOS 6 month deal here and see how long they let us roam once we leave :)

Hi Yngmar,

Just returned to Lagos. Please PM me your location so we can meet up for a chat.

We use a NOS 6 month contract last winter, with varying success (still trying to sort out the administration) but others found the 30 day pay-as-you go deal better so am doing a bit more research before signing up to a new contract. Additionally, there are a number of NOS shops in Lagos. Some are good but others are dire!

Now to 3. In the UK we are on a year contract with 3 (20G for £15), which proves great. We have returned to Lagos with 10 day’s remaining and apparently have 14G left. So must have used 6G over the last 20 days (20 - 14G). When does this 14G dropped to the 12G (30 day overseas limit)? Leaving only 6G for the remaining 10days in this period.

Must admit, with 3 working so well, I question the need for. another Portuguese contract and because of NOS’s poor admin support will have a look at Vodaphone (Portugal), who enjoy a good reputation. Most outlets cover the 3 main providers, NOS, Vodaphone and MEO.

maxi77

Visit site
Following the changes to roaming on 14th June will Feel at Home still exist?

My understanding is that within the EU, you will be able to use your full 3 UK allocation (20 GB a month for £15?) every month.

Because of the confusion over FAH, last winter in Portugal we used a mobile NOS MIFI on a 6 month contract - 30GB (but we used a lot more than 30 GB per month and they never cut you off or charge more) for €25 for 30 days. We pay cash once a month so no risk of any extra changes, a month to pay - all very relaxed (typically Portuguese).

Point is, when we go back to Portugal in the Autumn we may dump 3 and go with NOS for the whole year (roaming in reverse).

Good idea? What do others think?

We get unlimited from Voda on a monthly contract of 25 euros, payment online and you only give a months notice to stop. We will be out end of next month and will be restarting hopefully at the same rate.

Yngmar

Visit site

GrahamM376

Visit site
Interesting. That tariff appears to be still around and is called "Vodafone On 30GB" on the website: http://www.vodafone.pt/main/Particu...rios/internet-no-pc-ou-tablet-pos-pagos.htmll

Same price as the NOS deal and supposedly better coverage.

Originally when 4G started we were told it was unlimited but it is, as the brochure says, 30GB/month although we've never been capped . Said to be the best network for coverage and another advantage is it can be suspended for up to 3 months p.a. Coverage of all networks has in practice increased in border areas since roaming surcharges lifted.

nortada

Visit site
Now back in Lagos and Three is working very well.

So much so, that we will not sign up with a Portuguese provider until Three starts playing hard to get.

Downside the battery in our NOS Mifi blew up in the heat. Understand the battery could be difficult to replace and the Mifi electronics could be damaged. NOS were singularly unhelpful (hoping to sell us a new Mifi).

Whilst NOS provided a good signal last winter, their administration and after-sales were atrocious.

Although our 6 month contract finished last May, they are still sending a monthly e-mail demanding payment and in Sept they sent a letter advising that because of our lack of payment, they are terminating our access. As the contract finished over 4 months ago but of a relief!

In the light of this, if we are obliged to get a Portuguese provider, we will probably go to Voda.

nortada

Visit site
Three Still Working Well

Well, 150 days continuous use of Three outside the UK and the Three account is still working well, with no extra payments, so it would appear that Three's threat to impose charges, after 120 days, on any who continuously use their services abroad has yet to be invoked?

Additionally, roaming is working so well that, rather than use their Portuguese Sims, most 'foreigners have reverted to using their home country Sim. One thing, it is important to remember not to phone an overseas Sim from a Portuguese phone as international tariffs still apply.

What are other liveaboards experiences?

Oh yes, we are still getting a monthly demand from NOS for payment on our contract which finished May 2017! We have also had a couple of phone calls threatening legal action but later on they admitted it was their fault and we had no liability. :confused:.

Using the free AudioMemos App on my iPad we recorded these calls and my subsequent comment of, "Bring it on! Can't wait to play these tapes to the judge" Clearly knocked them back.:encouragement:

I then played these messages back to the local NOS agent who confirmed we have no liability. This seems to have brought about a re-think on their part and of late, it has all gone quiet. :rolleyes:

Fortunately NOS do not have any of our banking or credit card details because we understand NOS are notorious for this kind of thing and the courts recently ruled that they had to repay over €1,500 wrongly taken from an expat's bank account. :( Money still not forthcoming. :disgust:

Message - if dealing with NOS stick to cash transactions. :encouragement: and if possible record all phone conversations.

Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
Three EU roaming still working here as well after over 6 months, although we've recently had a few hours at an airport in Belfast (so within UK) and made sure all my UK SIM cards registered on their respective networks there, hoping it would reset any out-of-the-country timers to zero :)

Visit site
10 months outside the UK on Three.

As others have said it works, but it's not as good as a decent local sim or even some of the UK sims.

I think I've mentioned this before. Three's roaming is not 4g, at least not anywhere I've been Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Malta, Greece, Gibraltar, Canaries. Even if there is a 4g signal roaming will only be 3g speeds.

I still use it in my phone but in my modem I've switched to Vodafone. Their monthly rolling mobile broadband is only £25 for 50 gigabytes and the roaming is full 4g.

For instance I got 27Mbps download and 6Mbps upload on my last test on a small island. The Three sim gets 9 Mbps down and 1.5Mps up. Probably enough for some, but not great for video especially as the latency from UK sims is poor. It's basically working as a VPN with all traffic being routed through the UK.

I also have a Three Italian sim and Wind sim (also owned by Three now). Both are faster than the UK sim especially the upload speeds.

nortada

Visit site
10 months outside the UK on Three.

As others have said it works, but it's not as good as a decent local sim or even some of the UK sims.

I think I've mentioned this before. Three's roaming is not 4g, at least not anywhere I've been Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Malta, Greece, Gibraltar, Canaries. Even if there is a 4g signal roaming will only be 3g speeds.

I still use it in my phone but in my modem I've switched to Vodafone. Their monthly rolling mobile broadband is only £25 for 50 gigabytes and the roaming is full 4g.

For instance I got 27Mbps download and 6Mbps upload on my last test on a small island. The Three sim gets 9 Mbps down and 1.5Mps up. Probably enough for some, but not great for video especially as the latency from UK sims is poor. It's basically working as a VPN with all traffic being routed through the UK.

I also have a Three Italian sim and Wind sim (also owned by Three now). Both are faster than the UK sim especially the upload speeds.

In Portugal Three speed is adequate for all my on-board needs - both upload and download.

If I want to pull down TV, I venture ashore to a local bar armed with VPN.

But a Question

I still use it in my phone but in my modem I've switched to Vodafone. Their monthly rolling mobile broadband is only £25 for 50 gigabytes and the roaming is full 4g. .

This makes my 20 gigabytes for £15 per month (dropping to 12 gigabytes outside the UK) from Three a bit sick, so to my question.

Is this Vodaphone UK and if so, what does Vodaphone give you outside the UK and for how long?

My annual Three contract comes up for renewal in a couple of months when I will be back in the UK for the summer so it is time to think about shopping around.

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site
In Portugal Three speed is adequate for all my on-board needs - both upload and download.

But a Question

I still use it in my phone but in my modem I've switched to Vodafone. Their monthly rolling mobile broadband is only £25 for 50 gigabytes and the roaming is full 4g. .

This makes my 20 gigabytes for £15 per month (dropping to 12 gigabytes outside the UK) from Three a bit sick so my question.

Is this Vodaphone UK and if so, what does Vodaphone give you outside the UK and for how long?

My annual Three contract comes up for renewal in a couple of moths when I will be back in the UK for the summer so it is time to think about shopping around.
Depending on how long you are here for the local Vodaphone contract is good 25.99 a month for 100gb (ours is unlimited because that was the deal when we started) and you can stop and start as you need minimum period one month.

Last edited:
Visit site

But a Question

This makes my 20 gigabytes for £15 per month (dropping to 12 gigabytes outside the UK) from Three a bit sick so my question.

My annual Three contract comes up for renewal in a couple of moths when I will be back in the UK for the summer so it is time to think about shopping around.

Mine is a UK sim. The deal at £25 doesn't seem to be around now it's gone up to £30 (see bottom of the page - https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/ ). Go through topcashback or quidco for an additional £18 back.

The data can be used in 50 countries including Turkey and some Caribbean countries. I could not find any set limits on time away in the terms and conditions, and in any case as it's just a monthly rolling contract you just give them 30 days notice any time you want to leave.

I couldn't really see the downside considering it's a similar cost and faster than my Italian sim, not to mention easier. My Three UK sim is about £15 and is a regular phone sim, so I keep that in order for people to get in touch with me.

Yngmar

Visit site
Just got mail from Three UK with changes to the roaming policy. Seems all good news, most importantly, from 2019 on the fair use data limit when EU roaming increases, to 19 GB for pay monthly and to 15 GB for pay as you go (assuming you have that much data available).

Visit site
The extra is nice, but since Three only allow you to have a 3G connection rather than a 4g connection when roaming it's a question of whether you can even get through the data.

My vodafone sim regularly attains speeds of over 40Mbps. My Three sim is often under 3Mbps. It's not the connection either as I have a Wind sim (this is now part of three) that also destroys it in the speed stakes.

As I only use it in my phone and not for fast data it's not a problem for me, but it might be for others.

One tip is to manually change networks. Three have preferred partners and the phone will try to connect to these regardless of signal quality. For example in Spain my phone will mostly connect to Yoigo. Switch it to Movistar and speeds are increased 4 fold.

Last edited: