This should be interesting, help me fantasise my next boat

stuartwineberg

Visit site
As I sit in my kitchen, glass of wine in hand, thoughts stray to a bigger boat. I have a Hardy 25, via a Hardy 36 which was too much for my wallet. I am retiring so want to escape the Solent. I need heavy duty build, 2 engines, not modern direct electronic problem filled versions. Budget max £100k. Not a speed freak so a 17-18 knot cruise is fine. Hopefully the forum is also relaxing with a pre-work tipple and can come up with some ideas

Medskipper

Visit site
As I sit in my kitchen, glass of wine in hand, thoughts stray to a bigger boat. I have a Hardy 25, via a Hardy 36 which was too much for my wallet. I am retiring so want to escape the Solent. I need heavy duty build, 2 engines, not modern direct electronic problem filled versions. Budget max £100k. Not a speed freak so a 17-18 knot cruise is fine. Hopefully the forum is also relaxing with a pre-work tipple and can come up with some ideas

I purchased a princess 435 last year. What a lovely boat! Spacious, comfortable, well built and they are now in your price range! The aft cabin alone is well worth a look at!
good luck.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Brave choice with 15 year old Yanmars.

Sounds like Grand Banks, De Fever, Hardy, Seaward, Nelson, Hershine, Cheoy Lee, Trader.

I would see electronic engines as a bonus.
Thanks - some interesting and unusual names here. On the engine front, I just feel uneasy about complex electronics and sea water plus all the threads we read here about electrical gremlins. I'm a bit old school - wouldn't have outdrives either!

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Brave choice with 15 year old Yanmars.

Sounds like Grand Banks, De Fever, Hardy, Seaward, Nelson, Hershine, Cheoy Lee, Trader.

I would see electronic engines as a bonus.

I thought Yanmars were ok?
Why would 15 yr old Yanmars be a brave choice if FSH? Would be interested to know as that boat would be my cuppa tea!

stuartwineberg

Visit site
if they do go wrong, parts prices are eye watering....
True but I haven't heard of problems with these 6 cylinder jobs except for rotting exhaust elbows but I would be interested to hear what VPaul thinks. This is fantasy land BTW but she is a nice boat. As always the snag with these larger older boats is that mooring fees, insurance and repair bills are the same as for a new one - sadly these costs don't drop with age!

jfm

Visit site
Stuart I reckon you should rethink your objection to electronic control. You hear of problems but that's just because people write about those problems, and they don't write about mechanically controlled engine problems. A decent computer is much better at putting the right amount of diesel into the cylinder than a mechanical governor. I've boated with electronics since 2003 with never any problem, but before that I always had a bloke with spanners fiddling with my TAMD63Ps and someone else cleaning the soot off the transom (perfectly nice engine, mind!)

burgundyben

Visit site
Stuart I reckon you should rethink your objection to electronic control. You hear of problems but that's just because people write about those problems, and they don't write about mechanically controlled engine problems. A decent computer is much better at putting the right amount of diesel into the cylinder than a mechanical governor. I've boated with electronics since 2003 with never any problem, but before that I always had a bloke with spanners fiddling with my TAMD63Ps and someone else cleaning the soot off the transom (perfectly nice engine, mind!)

Absolutely, I don't get my boat owners are such Luddites. I'd love to put electronic engines in PT.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Well I do have to admit to having to clean my transom fairly frequently - point well made though. I think part of the issue is that I am boating at the edge of my budget and I have the impression which may be incorrect that if a piece of electronic gubbins does fail its a big chunk of cash whereas the mechanical bits on an older engine don't seem as bad - point about Yanmar spares being understood however. I am also not keen on being held hostage to a main dealer with a laptop if it needs resetting or diagnosing - I'd much rather ring VP