This is why I love my Starlight 39

robmcg

Visit site
Blimey! When the music started I thought it was going to be a remake of the Battleship Potemkin :). However good to see a good boat in her element! Impressive speed :encouragement:

Rob

Seven Spades

Visit site
We had a thrilling week on Wednesday we did Cherbourg to St Vaast in 4:15, that was 39 miles! Obviously we went with the tide but it was still amazing.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Pretty good speed for a half boat.

I took this last year...

6A5B9CA5-0FB7-4059-AE55-99B96E1EFA86-295-0000004EB4A8820E.jpg

But you have the edge on me insofar as you are actually enjoying your boat... We are stuck with house repairs and other landlocked matters... HHHhhaarrrumpfff...

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Same here, I havent even started to get the boat ready for the water.

Seven Spades, the Starlight 39 is a boat I would very much like to have owned. What I consider the best boat of its size.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I agree it is a brilliant boat and can't think of anything its size I would rather have but I look forward to seeing the GT39 when it is built. I doubt I will really be able to justify the extra money, I could by a buy-to-let property with the difference, but it is nice to have a new boat. I have spent the last 6 years improving mine and I am wining. Yesterday I bought an LED steaming/deck light combo and over the winter changed all the sea cocks, and bought an AIS VHF combo(The difference between it and radar is amazing, the radar CPA jumps about all over the place whereas the AIS is just about rock solid). I think all boats are BIONIC because things generally get better so we keep fitting better and better things to our boats.

robmcg

Visit site
It makes you think how/why they didn't make or sell more Starlight 35's and 39's? I know the company had a somewhat chequered history but you get the feeling the demand is still there, even though they have been around for a while now.

Seven Spades

Visit site
The demand is still there but they were too expensive. To by new Rustler wanted the same sort of money you would pay for an HR. The Starlights are an older design and the focus was sea keeping and performance not accommodation. They are double skinned further reducing the interior space. Having said that the 39 has two heads one on each tack and lots of locker space, although the access to the lockers are restricted by openings that are too small. If you look at this interior photo you can see how small it is for a boat of 40' compared to a modern boat. Incidentally whenever we race up we have to step up onto almost every other boat save the Swan 38 which it can out sail except to windward(35 degrees or less to apparent wind) because the Swan can point higher.

L1050328-2.jpg

robmurray

Visit site
I agree they are amazing boats. I had one for 8 years. You can sail them like a hooligan and they just keep blasting through any conditions. Very fast and very sea kindly. Enjoy her!

Birdseye

Visit site
It makes you think how/why they didn't make or sell more Starlight 35's and 39's? I know the company had a somewhat chequered history but you get the feeling the demand is still there, even though they have been around for a while now.

The design with the inner skin is very expensive to make so you need to charge Swedish type prices - the last 35s that Rustler made were in the 180k category and thats a few years ago. Likely now you would be 250/300. And the 35 isnt a very big boat - might be 36 overall but internally its more like 33

jonic

www.jryachts.com
I have had the good fortune to broker some Starlight's and they are incredible yachts.

Even if you buy a well used one and refit completely, with new rig and engine etc, you would still not be getting anything comparable for the same money new today.

There is always a demand too.

And the buyers are generally an absolute pleasure to work with.:encouragement:

Last edited:

doris

Visit site

The 39 is the most forgiving high performance cruiser I have ever sailed, absolutely smashing boat. Mr Jones never designed slow boats but the 35 and 39 were special.
If one of the major builders made a boat with the same lines, aka seaworthiness, and normal hull build I would have one like a shot. When they were new there were lots of questions about how long the foam filling would last. That might still be a relevant question. Single skin equals much better value, more room and more future proof.

CC@GTY

www.gtyachts.com
Hopefully you've all seen this:

www.gtyachts.com

Yes we will be building Stephen Jones 39 again. However, those that have demo-sailed the new GT35 in anticipation of the GT39 coming online later have all said that the 35 is plenty big enough. Huge inside for a 35, seriously big, and of course Stephen Jones performance.... We had 35+ knots on the first day of commissioning, no complaints. YM test report July (I think), but unfortunately we only had 10-12 knots breeze tops.

Seajet

Visit site
I remember the sailing review when the 39 came out; one that sticks in the memory as a classic in the making.

I can't help thinking this boat is the modern answer to the She 36, and even at her age that's a boat I'd love to own - if I did much more offshore sailing and happened to win the lottery !

Ditto the Starlight, which frankly would be more practical and probably better all round, just I have a soft spot for the She.