This can't be for real can it

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
This can\'t be for real can it

For some reason I am on the mailing list for West Marine an American chandlery. They have just posted through my door a pamphlet claiming to be international.

In their specials they are selling a safety line, it worries me, am I right to think this product is wrong.......it is on their website so I can post a photo...

500470_f.jpg

tell me what you think?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=564&subdeptNum=399&storeNum=8&productId=43844>The web page on West Marine.com</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/Honda_00.html>Honda Formula 4-Stroke racing</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jools_of_Top_Cat on 22/07/2003 08:42 (server time).</FONT></P>

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Don\'t know if

it is the sort of halyard shackle with the red lanyard worrying you, it is recommended by the orc now, after a few people drowned under capsized boats because they were unable to free themselves...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Re: This can\'t be for real can it

Julian

In their 2003 catalogue, pages 778 -779, there is a full explanation of the various types of clip and the tether lines available.

The Snap Hook description says 'Easy to attach,difficult to detach under load and can come undone accidentally if used on U-shaped pad eyes. Not our favourite'

The Snap Shackle description says 'Easy to release under load, but can be released accidentally if the lanyard is pulled. Best suited to the harness end of the tether'.

They also offer Gibb Snap Hooks and Wichard Safety Hooks, the kind we are more used to seeing over here. The lines can be supplied with any combination of available fittings the customer choses.

I think the flyer you had was misleading, they do sell a bigger range that would suit international users. They are very much an International Chandlers, I've bought plenty from them as have many others. The service is excellent and prices generally good also, often much better. My last order, placed on a Friday via a free phonecall to California, was delivered on the following Tuesday, two pairs of Sperry & Harken deck shoes for the price of one pair at Force 4. Actually their catalogue contains ordering instructions in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese and English and there are freephone links from 17 countries including the UK (0800 895473).

I have no relationship to West Marine other than as a very satisfied customer.

Ask them for a catalogue (968 pages), you will be amazed and at the very least it is a good bible to have on board.

Who needs harnesses anyway, safe sailing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Re: This can\'t be for real can it

If I knew where a barge pole could be found I wouldn't touch that with one. If its a harness tether (which I think is the purpose), I would want to see a gated 'gibb-style' hook at both ends, not one ungated one and a snap shackle (remember Lewmar's wrestler?)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Robin

Visit site
Look Again

Julian

If you look at your link again and click on West Advisors, then search for Safety Harnesses and Jacklines, you will get their full advice on this. It seems that the US Coastguard requires snap shackles on the harness end so that you can release yourself from a capsized boat. West also recommend the Gibb or Wichard safety hooks at the other end.

Robin

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Re: orc regulations

I think you are being selective ... the section you quoute is a reccomendation, not a requirement, and in full it says ..

e) snaphooks should be of a type which will not self-release from a U-bolt (5.02.1 (a)) and which can be easily released under load (crew members are reminded that a personal knife may free them from a safety line in emergency)

furthermore 5.02.1 (which is mandatory) says

5.02.1 Each crew member shall have a safety harness, and safety line not more than 2m long with a snaphook at each end a) Warning it is possible for a plain snaphook to disengage from a U-bolt if the hook is rotated under load at right-angles to the axis of the U-bolt. For this reason the use of snaphooks with positive locking devices is strongly recommended

SO

a snaphook at each end is a requirement ( a shackle isnt a snaphook), and such snaphoks should have positive locks.

In reality the reccomendation and the requirement conflict and are mutually exclusive - unless you have the snaphook attached to the tether via a snapshackle, or have a snapshackle on your harness, which is what I have done

<hr width=100% size=1>