Think its the end for my main sheet traveller, what replacement?

William_H

Visit site
Any chance you still have the original Nicro-Fico traveler car? I would be interested in buying it. I have the Nicro-Fico NF 588 and would like a replacement. Thanks.
This guy (Roger) might be able to help you. Yacht Grot: Perth Boat Retailer as he has been able to for me in the distant past.
Re 6 purchase main sheet. I think that might present too much friction. Most people go for 4 purchase with a tackle on the fixed tail to permit more purchase for trimming or there is a system of 4 purchase with twin sheets in hand so that trimming one sheet gives more purchase. ol'will

alfredo

Visit site
This guy (Roger) might be able to help you. Yacht Grot: Perth Boat Retailer as he has been able to for me in the distant past.
Re 6 purchase main sheet. I think that might present too much friction. Most people go for 4 purchase with a tackle on the fixed tail to permit more purchase for trimming or there is a system of 4 purchase with twin sheets in hand so that trimming one sheet gives more purchase. ol'will
Thanks William. I'll ask them about a traveler replacement. I want to stay with the original X track which is still in good condition so am only wanting to replace traveler car with a good used NF car or a new Pfeiffer. My traveler car clevis hole has enlarged too much likely due to loading the car from stabilizing the boom with the boat on the swing over the years. The original NF 610 system (3:1) has worked Ok for me by easing the mainsheet before moving the car under strong winds.

Refueler

Visit site
Why does doing this cause the problems mentioned? I ask as I use the traveller to park the boom to one side when moored. Not a good idea?

I always use mainsheet and traveller to park the boom ..... first time I have ever heard of damage as a result.

Reckon a good broad reach in good wind puts more strain on a traveller / sheet system surely ?? What about those 'gybes' ??

BabaYaga

Visit site
I suspect the advice is based on avoiding point loading of ball bearings in the car. I seem to remember that Rutgerson mentioned upthread use roller bearings for this reason.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I always use mainsheet and traveller to park the boom ..... first time I have ever heard of damage as a result.

Reckon a good broad reach in good wind puts more strain on a traveller / sheet system surely ?? What about those 'gybes' ??
I would think that a boat on its mooring the boom will swing, even if only a small amount quite a lot and this will lead to continuous fretting and wear at the fixing points.

Refueler

Visit site
I would think that a boat on its mooring the boom will swing, even if only a small amount quite a lot and this will lead to continuous fretting and wear at the fixing points.

Yes if free to swing ... if you only use the traveller stops.

Personally I have a light line that ties to boom end attachment of sheets and then to guard rail ... stopping the boom from swinging about ... only light so if really bad - it can break before pulling stanchion.

alfredo

Visit site
Hi Alfredo
Yes I still have the car, where are you based?
is the car for the larger X track which is 37mm wide at top? I would pay for postage and car.. thanks.

Attachments

• nf610.html_txt_610W_track.gif
    nf610.html_txt_610W_track.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
  • nf610.html_txt_nf588 (1).gif
    nf610.html_txt_nf588 (1).gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 1

alfredo

Visit site
Hi Loneranger.. Was just thinking about the traveller and wondering whether you are still planning on visiting Montreal for Xmas and taking the traveller along to mail to North Vancouver. Thanks, Cheers Fred

Refueler

Visit site
The problem is that every time the boat is subject to a wash or wave it rocks. When it rocks the boom wants to swing from side to side. If the traveler is firmly secured in one spot not such a problem but any movement has the traveler sliding along sideways and back so causing wear. This movement amounts to a lot over a season or longer. I habitually drop off the topping lift and lay the boom on the cabin top. Looks untidy but there is then no movement. ol'will

On my new boat - depending on situation ... I unclip and secure to side deck. Or usually take a light line and fasten to lower part of mainsheet - other end of line to stanchion. The car is then held and does not move back and forth on the track.