there's expensive, there's rip -off and there's Vo**lvo prices

ironmaiden

Visit site
Re: there\'s expensive, there\'s rip -off and there\'s Vo**lvo prices

this really p*ss*s me off when you talk about putting a value on things such as spare parts or labour costs..I recently had the timing belt replaced on my car, the cheapest labour cost I could find was £65.00 per hour plus vat...that really made my eyes water....I can also weld and fabricate as i'm an ex coded welder so I could have made up the parts in the original post and would have charged you about £25.00 per hour .....that would have made your eyes water............

I now work for the NHS.... I'm an intensive care nurse... I have a diploma, a 1st degree and a Msc in nursing studies........my colleagues and I are dedicated to keeping very poorly patients
alive ..........we get we get £9.80p per hour........ now that really does make your eyes water ....well mine anyway.

howardclark

Visit site

The only effective answer is do what I did and refuse even to consider buying a boat with a Volvo engine. If enough of us do the same then either they will learn or go out of business.

Rabbie

Visit site

Took Jack Russel to vet last night. 2 minute examination + urine sample test + anti-biotics for 7 days. Cost £68!.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

Reality check please!

Have you priced Yanmar parts recently?

When we rebuilt our Volvo engine I was VERY pleasantly suprised by the reasonably cost of the spares. The pistons and valve prices were exactly in line with prices I would pay for a common car engine on a rebuild. (Not that I build them anymore since my boy-racer-modsports-competition-driving days are long over..)

But get the point. Its easy to knock Volvo, but there are a lot of Volvo engines boats out there doing lots of reliable hours.

The only point I will agree on is I still wouldn't buy a Volvo 2000 series engine - the prices for the pistons on that model make my eyes water and my wallet go into spasms.

Swanrad2

Visit site

Couple of points- firstly charging what you can because you can is called exploitation and marinas, chandlers, marine engineers etc etc have been getting away with it for years so tough we sail we pay. If there was any money to be made replicating Volvo parts is that legal? If yes wouldn't someone be doing it, also the Chandlers mark up is scandelous between two North Wales Chandlers on a Vetus waterlock recently there was in excess of 30% difference in price; Dickies was the lower price by the way!

Secondly how about a co-operative skills exchange. On here we have two engineers and an intensive care nurse (who, sorry by the way, costs us far more than the £9.08 pence an hour they are paid) I'm quite handy with asset allocation modelling- hmmm I'll swap two hours of good quality IHT discussions for a replaced cylindar head and a saline drip to help me cure my hangover; any takers?

Sailfree

Visit site

No I haven't priced Yanmar parts lately - and that is an important point. 6yrs with Volvos on a charter boat cost a fortune - about £10,000 - but what is worse when iot goes wrong Volvo just doesn't want to know ALL probs are due to owners misuse as they know their engines etc are perfect. So far 2yrs with Yanmar on a charter boat £0 consequently I have never found out how Yanmar aftersales compares.

Servicing costs excluded from both amounts!

Ignore me - I am just prejudiced - I wonder why.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

[ QUOTE ]

Have you priced Yanmar parts recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

In the UK Yanmar parts are expensive too.
Have to be sourced through Barrus - UK sole importer (monopoly) - hence rip-off.

Get them through Yanmar Europe (in Holland) and price is about 40% less.
When they refer you to Barrus, say you're a yacht in transit and they don't have stock.
Most of the time this is true, as Barrus doesn't carry much stock.

Birdseye

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:-
Thing is, why didnt you make it yourself?? Because you dont have the skills?
Then why moan when you have to buy stuff, that's been made? How much do you or your employer charge your time out at? How much did it cost to keep the workshop going that made it.
Cant understand why folk moan about the cost of spares, if you cant make it yourself or source it cheaper, then pay up and shut up. Think!
end of qoute.
........................................................................................
Sorry but I agree entirely with ccscott49 I spent seven years of my life as a mechanical engineer apprentice This simple bit of kit would be a piece of cake to make to any one with any engineering ability. "Sorry if that sounds patronising." each to his own trade.
Now you do not state what you are professional at but if you are a dentist and I wanted a Crown I would appreciate the skills you have to take an impression and send it to a dental technician to be made and the for you to fit it. I would have to pay up the extortionate costs of the combined skills of you both.
Now do you see the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt going to say any more but I cant let that ride!

No I didnt work for the NHS. Instead I ran a largish business in the steel fabrication / pressing industry supplying the automotive and construction industries. We made components not unrelated to the ones concerned. My figures are out of date by a few years so I wont quote numbers. All I will say is that its because I know just how outrageous the price I paid is that I made the post in the first place.

Of course getting a one off bit made up is uneconomic, but Vol*v arent in the business of one off bits. A fair price is related to what they pay.

And for the benefit of the poster who would try to charge £25 per hour for coded welding and therefore felt badly done to at being paid £10 per hour as a nurse - I used to pay the 30 or so coded welders I employed around £4.50 per hour. The works nurse got considerably more.

Spyro

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Thing is, why didnt you make it yourself?? Because you dont have the skills?
Then why moan when you have to buy stuff, that's been made? How much do you or your employer charge your time out at? How much did it cost to keep the workshop going that made it.
Cant understand why folk moan about the cost of spares, if you cant make it yourself or source it cheaper, then pay up and shut up. Think!

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you are offensive could you make sure you are replying to the correct person. I wasn't moaning.

Spyro

ccscott49

Visit site

Point one, I wasn't being offensive, just trying to make a point!
Point two, the post was menat to be addreesed at the original poster.
Point three, now I am being offensive, sod off!

PeterGibbs

Visit site

I say it again, with Volvo engines, you have to try other channels for parts and advice before going to a Volvo agent.

And the one I use is local to me here in London, Keypart of Kings Langley. Very useful guys for advice and alternatives that work. Also Volvo parts, when unavoidable, without the 100% markup.

I have no financial or other interest in this company - just that they have served me well for years.

PWG

ironmaiden

Visit site

you most be going back a lot of years when you say you paid 30 welders £4.50 n hour when you think that asda now pay their employees about £7.70 an hour for scanning a product on a check out. and I get a basic rate of not much more then that on ITU as well as getting myself over £12,000 in debt with student loans to earn less then £10.00 per hr ... it really saddens me how this country values skills...