there's expensive, there's rip -off and there's Vo**lvo prices

Birdseye

Visit site
there\'s expensive, there\'s rip -off and there\'s Vo**lvo prices

No doubt this post will get pulled, but I have to express outrage at vo**lvo spares prices.

I have just had to replace the front two mounts on my 2003 - they are a simple slotted piece of 6mm plate with a short threaded 15mm stud welded into the middle of it. A pretty straightforward metalworking job which can be done to a prefectly good standard with very simple tools. Its not aircraft standard work.

And the cost - £33.26 each or approximately £85,000 per tonne. And for that you dont even get new nuts. You have to re-use the old ones!

Steel plate costs somewhere round £350 per tonne cold rolled. Studding maybe twice that. So V**lvo - whats your excuse? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tangofour

Visit site
Re: there\'s expensive, there\'s rip -off and there\'s Vo**lvo prices

Try Honda .......

Left hand transom bracket casting for a brand new 2.3 4 stroke outboard. cast ali, fit in the palm of your hand weight about 500g. Cost £80 plus vat and carriage.

A new motor is only £399!

macd

Visit site

Sympathy, but £33 quid for anything 'Volvo' sounds a bargain.

Why on earth did you think your post would be pulled? Unless you made the figure up from thin air, which I've no doubt you didn't, it couldn't possibly be a libel. The mags aren't as far up the manufacturer's alimenary canals as you may suppose.

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com

I hold no brief for Volvo ( I have a 2002 and know the pain in the wallet) However, to put it into perspective, I always consider how much a machine shop might charge if asked to create these items from scratch. Knowing today's skilled labour hourly charges, you might think the Volvo bits were a reasonable deal. We had a Bukh in our old boat and their bits were pretty eye-watering too!

boatbuilder

Visit site

The most expensive parts that I have had to get recently are for a Gardner 6LW.
Makes Volvo look cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Birdseye

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

Why on earth did you think your post would be pulled? Unless you made the figure up from thin air, which I've no doubt you didn't, it couldn't possibly be a libel. The mags aren't as far up the manufacturer's alimenary canals as you may suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did you last read a test report critical of a boat?

nigelhudson

calculuscontracts.co.uk

I'm surprised that you had to replace that part of the mount - I would have thought that it more likely that the rubber bits would have needed changing and they are even more expensive! Did you make the mistake of going to your local VP dealer? We only visit ours if the requirement is really urgent and order most of our bits by post. We have been pleased with Keyparts service and price - they always seem cheaper than dealer quoted prices although they do use pattern parts rather than VP to keep the price down.

sailingawayforayearandaday.blogspot.com

I really dont understand the Volvo Penta business model. Where are they trying to place themselves?

They are not considered to be any more reliable than their competition, even in Sweden where 99% of the population drive Volvo cars, Yanmar have been just as popular since the 70s.

I dont know how they survive with a brand promise of 'We're sort of about the same quality as everyone else but 2-5 times more expensive.'

Spyro

Visit site

I don't think that is too bad. If you had to get someone to make one up for you it would cost that paying for their time. If you are just comparing it as price/weight then the Barton Genoa car traveller that I just replaced would easily beat that.

ccscott49

Visit site

Thing is, why didnt you make it yourself?? Because you dont have the skills?
Then why moan when you have to buy stuff, that's been made? How much do you or your employer charge your time out at? How much did it cost to keep the workshop going that made it.
Cant understand why folk moan about the cost of spares, if you cant make it yourself or source it cheaper, then pay up and shut up. Think!

JMM

Visit site

I think that the model is that they supply engines cheaply to boat builders, then make up any shortfall on the prices of spare parts. Bit like Gillette and razor blades . . .

old_salt

Visit site

Quote:-
Thing is, why didnt you make it yourself?? Because you dont have the skills?
Then why moan when you have to buy stuff, that's been made? How much do you or your employer charge your time out at? How much did it cost to keep the workshop going that made it.
Cant understand why folk moan about the cost of spares, if you cant make it yourself or source it cheaper, then pay up and shut up. Think!
end of qoute.
........................................................................................
Sorry but I agree entirely with ccscott49 I spent seven years of my life as a mechanical engineer apprentice This simple bit of kit would be a piece of cake to make to any one with any engineering ability. "Sorry if that sounds patronising." each to his own trade.
Now you do not state what you are professional at but if you are a dentist and I wanted a Crown I would appreciate the skills you have to take an impression and send it to a dental technician to be made and the for you to fit it. I would have to pay up the extortionate costs of the combined skills of you both.
Now do you see the point.

TheBoatman

Visit site

Whilst not disagreeing with you - what about the labour costs - £40/hr, how long would it take you to "knock" a couple up.

Did you think of trying R & D couplings?

Peter.

ccscott49

Visit site

Thankyou! Funnily enough I was also an engineering apprentice! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

macd

Visit site

"When did you last read a test report critical of a boat?"

I'll ignore your evident misunderstanding of the word 'critical' and your jaundiced view of boat tests. But I will ask what that has to do with the pulling of posts.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the model is that they supply engines cheaply to boat builders, then make up any shortfall on the prices of spare parts. Bit like Gillette and razor blades . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Same business model as the model/toy train market. Sets are relatively cheap, track is quite expensive. Mind you, ISTR that the most expensive substance in the world on a £ per kg basis is actually fairing spares for Japanese sports bikes.

The part in question does sound as though it could quite easily be fabricated. This is the PBO forum after all:)

RivalRedwing

Visit site

er, discussion of manufacturing costs might be missing the point - it is the profit taking by Volvo, its UK agent and the dealer that you purchased from that bumps up the price - you've got to keep that corporate infrastructure well oiled, pip! pip!

bluedragon

Visit site

The auto industry has been doing the same for years. I was appalled at the cost of a replacement ABS unit (Volvo again...but they're all the same) when I knew damn well that they were made by the zillion on a production line by Bosch and sold to the mfrs. at a fraction of the replacement market price. It's the way marketing works. When you can get away with a high price...you do! Actually though, knowing this, the price doesn't seem that bad...they could have asked £80 or something, and most people would still pay-up.

tobble

Visit site

ah, but if the charged £80 then people would realise that even a one-off fabrication could beat that... Moonfire, I aagree, somehow my mental image of the Volvo factory is more built by robots than built by roberts... have to fund that Volvo importer's mercedes (!) somehow...