The Perfect Outboard?

KnotNick

Visit site
As the (relatively) new owner of a Westerly GK29 with a sometimes errant but dogedly original Petter Mini Twin I'm faced with conundrum of purchasing an outboard for my 2.6m tender. Most of the time my prime concern will be manouvering the petrol-powered lump (with the aid of my far prettier half) from one to another floating platform - however with the occasional reluctance of the Petter to fire up when the wind dies it would be a bonus if I could rely upon a lashed tender complete with sprightly outboard to push us manfully towards the closest pub - pushing the 3 1/2 ton bulk of the GK.

So we've looked at various, and it seems to me that there are a few older engines (the Yamaha Malta?) and some more youthful entrants on the block (Tomatsu 3.5?) that may be up to the Weight vs Power challenge - now I wonder whether there might be an opinion or two out there to help me solve the riddle?

Question being how much power do I need to shift the GK in calm conditions and what's the lightest engine that might do this reliably?

As if that isn't enough to ask - a twist throttle would be perfect!

Thoughts?

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
I have successfully manouvred my Colvic using my 2.4 Metre Metzeler tender(lashed alongside the stern) powered by my 2HP Honda BF2 4stroke in calm conditions.

This would suggest that almost any modern outboard would work.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Becky

Visit site
I have found my Mariner 3.3 incredibly reliable (it is here on thentable beside me!), bearing in mind that it isn't quite run in yet, and very easy to start. It makes my dinghy plane which is great fun for my (grown-up) children. Little engines will move yachts in calm conditions in the abscence of strong tides. But really any modern outboard is pretty reliable. You will need F-N-R but anything over 2hp will have that. You will have to choose between 4-stroke and 2-stroke. The latter is easier to stow, and not much more thirsty. But am sure the pundits will have much more detailed advice.
Best of luck, Becky

<hr width=100% size=1>

Becky

Visit site
I have found my Mariner 3.3 incredibly reliable (it is here on the table beside me!), bearing in mind that it isn't quite run in yet, and very easy to start. It makes my dinghy plane which is great fun for my (grown-up) children. Little engines will move yachts in calm conditions in the abscence of strong tides. But really any modern outboard is pretty reliable. You will need F-N-R but anything over 2hp will have that. You will have to choose between 4-stroke and 2-stroke. The latter is easier to stow, and not much more thirsty. But am sure the pundits will have much more detailed advice.
Best of luck, Becky

<hr width=100% size=1>

Boathook

Visit site
I have a Malta that is reliable as far as I rarely service it except when it packs up. I know that it will tow my 4.5 ton Cat though I have not yet tried it for real. Most outboards are reliable and normaly even better with some use - I must stop rowing; The choice is yours ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I have pushed my 9m cat with a 2hp yam and managed to secure between piles using it despite absence of any gears. The 3.5 Tohatsu is a great compromise between power and weight, and has a neutral gear (I have just bought one) and with nearly twice the power of my old 2hp, should be able to move the boat in calm conditions with ease. It is also a reasonable weight for humping up and down from tender. The Malta engines are nice, and slightly more powerful, but they also weigh more. Thus if you want the wife to move it as well, you could go for extra weight and a pulley system from the boom to ease the problem of transfer from the tender, or buy the cheaper but slightly less powerful 3.5 hp.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
With my Mariner 3.3 on an inflatable tender I pushed a similar yacht to yours out of the mud when it was aground. No twist throttle but light, gutsy, simple and moderately vocal.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
I found that the most successful way to propel a larger boat with a dinghy is to lash the dinghy fore and aft, to avoid the problems of the dinghy slipping off the back, diving under or (with towing) dragging the transom off. I used a 5hp dinghy to propel a 45 foot jenneau in this way when (as you fear for your own boat) the inboard packed in.

In selecting an outboard, i was successful in borrowing one from a neighbour to try it out for an hour. I would choose something from a nearby dealer, preferably the same marina in which you are basd - most engines seem pretty good these days. I've had good yamahas, tho that isn't to say others aren't excellent too.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Stemar

Visit site
I'd second suggestions about the Tohatsu 3.5. It pushes my Snapdragon 24 along a treat when the inboard misbehaves.

Plenty of the other similar engines (eg Mariner) are badge engineered Tohatsus for more money.

I've found mine to be economical and reliable. No twistgrip, or reverse, though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Have you thought about fitting a lowering OB bracket to the stern of your boat for use in emergency, would be much easier that pumping the dingy while drifting onto the beach.

I have a Yamaha 4hp 2stroke. I think it must be 6+ years old but is fastastic. Despite dunkings and general abuse it always starts. with F-N-R it makes mooring easy. I can't speak highly enough, however it may be a bit big for some small inflatables

<hr width=100% size=1>