The Omega Block

qsiv

Visit site
I have to say I still prefer my view of a week ago...

I dont recall temperatures of 20 to 25C recently. The weather looks to be steadily breaking up - by next week any semblance of the steady conditions is likely to have gone.

If your coming back next weekend, then I'm afraid it looks as though lightish winds will be the order of the day (usual caveats about 5 day and greater forecast apply!). There is a possibility that you might get as much as 15 / 20 knots next weekend - unusually it could even be SE or SSE. Quite what you have done to warrant such favourable winds I dont know! Seas should be in the calm/slight range. So broad reach, starboard tack, right of way....

If we were in summer I'd add a severe warning for fog as well - but I dont really know what the likelihood is at this time of year. My guess would be that due to the cold air and sea the moisture could well be precipitated out, rather than staying suspended as fog or mist - but all will probably become easier to see next week (excuse the pun). If you wind up diverting to Jersey - do shout (except I may be up in Alderney by then).

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
PS .. for the week after Easter which I see is your passage plan, I suspect (and we are into guessing territory here), that there is a real prospect that as that week nears the end you could see freshening winds with plenty of north in them, and 'significant' seas - lets say 10ft and over. There is a big low forecast over Greeenland by Easter Sunday - if it tracks further South as it moves East, then the rough conditions could easily reach down into the Western Approaches.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I was looking at the long range chart for easter - shows a large high pressure building from skandanavia. with a ridge al the way south to Spain. This would give light sout easterlies say for the first few days. If as you say a large low in Greenland then decends - well have N- NW which is not what I want - 6-7 against a spring tide in the Raz de Seine and C de Four!

Still - sounds like solid spinnaker work trhe first few days, then on wiith the 80 horses! This is where a covered wheelhouse really comes into its own.

Well - we are off on Thursday at Sparrrow fart, still don't know if the new prop shaft has been put in - so might have to abandon the whole trip. Cannot get any sence out of the frogs other than they keep saying it will be ready. Not sure whether the shaft has even been made yet. Chiraque may well still get it in the neck!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
<<6-7 against a spring tide in the Raz de Seine and C de Four! >>

Not nice in te Four - lethal in the Raz.

We had 4/5 with the tide going up the Chenal du Four last year - that was the first of two occasions we had better than 20 knots over the ground last season. The fact that it was pitch dark added to the navigational excitement!

Good luck with the prop shaft..

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
I can believe it having just completed a five-day, high pressure crossing of the North Sea from Sweden with sunshine all the way. Mind you, with winds from the North East ranging in strength from 45 knots downwards it was a bit chilly in the small hours.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

Chris_Robb

Visit site
James - Sounds like you had a good sail. So now Im hoping for good southerlies to come back from S.Brittany to Plymouth in the week after easter. The forecast looks as if it might oblige!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Raz - yes - very careful - a no go area in wind over tide!!

Keep your fingers crossed for a good forecast - one shows a low forming next sunday over alantic adjacent to Spain - Easterlies - other shows low pressure moving into med with skandinavian high in charge.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
actually a bit of it probably is burns
my activity on the rota was teaching back woods cooking
so i spent two days teahcing groups of scouts how to light a fire with one match in a match box and get a coking fire in no time cook eggs and other stuff with no utensils.
so did spend a lot of time blowing a bunch of pine needles into a flame
the kids had a rota of activities this weekend. lots of local groups attended and each group pooled their leaders skills/ equipment and came up with an activity
so this weekend our patrols did the following not each patrol did everything as it was six sessions each day

hovercraft driving
abseiling
a para ascending simulator (did not see that but the kids loved it)
canoeing
sign language
wood turning
enamaling
zip line
raft making
archery
shooting
back woods cooking
games
orienteering

fortunately i do my canoe instructor assessment soon and then i am being trained to be an rya dinghy instructor so i will be back on the water. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

pkb

Visit site
I haven't looked at a synoptic chart but are you saying that we have an omega shaped high pressure blocking pattern over us right now. In which case that has to be good news. Don't they normally give at least a month's worth of settled weather?

Does this mean the Azores High has moved northwards further and faster this year in which case is the outlook for the summer of 2003 more hopeful. I'm no meteoroligist as you can tell but I was once told that the only dumb question was the one you didn't ask.

Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>