the oil in water episode

Andy

Visit site
Follow on from previous posts...
Today there was no extra fluid in the sump and being a nice day i decided to swap the injection pump from my old engine to this one.I have also removed and inspected the lift pump and all seems well.I have done another oil change so we will have to wait and see if it works. Although......
The lab tests on the fluid in the sump indicate water and so did the 'sizzle' test.
to be continued

Andy

Visit site
Bye the way , how much would you expect to be charged for a cylinder head removal, pfd inspection, check for warp, three oil changes (with filters) , a new injector and fitting and cylinder head back on?
by a marine engineering company.

boomer

N/A
Visit site
Very early on in this debate I suggested that your 'surplus fluid' might in fact be diesel. This has still to be resolved and I wish you luck with it. However, I was very concerned by one of the posters in 'Water in oil part 3' who seemed to think that the presence of diesel in the sump presented fewer problems. Not so. The dilution of the lubricating oil will make it more 'acceptable' as fuel and as the level increases it may be picked up by the bottom of the pistons and transferred to the combustion chambers. Once this process starts it will gain its own momentum and will carry on, totally uncontrolably, until the engine explodes (usually within minutes). Believe me. I saw this happen on a 6-cylinder DAF engine and it was only the fact that it was a steel boat that stopped it sinking when the schrapnel started flying about.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I was that poster!!

and I agree that there is a possibility that diesel in the oil could act as a fuel and cause uncontrollable engine acceleration. Indeed, there are circumstances in which the oil alone can do such a thing. However, there are very many occasions on which diesel gets into the crankcase without leading to this situation. Conversely, it doesn't take a lot of seawater to completely wreck an engine, especially one with copper-lead bearings. So of the two, I'll take a bit of diesel.

Col

Visit site
Re: I was that poster!!

Try CO2 extinguisher if you ever have a runaway engine, shoot it into air intake. A friend who works in a Ford truck dealers workshop said that is the only way to stop them, as they would even overcome a truck clutch if they tried to "stall" them.

burgundyben

Visit site
Agreed, whether water or fuel, u dont really want any contaminant in your oil.

I dont beleive I'm gonna tell you this but here goes, long time ago, I was working on a westerly, engine was 2003 volvo turbo, i cant rember exactly what had happened to the engine but there was oil spurting everywhere, the air filter was a sealed plastic box with a metal mesh inside full of engine oil, up to the shed, washed it out with 25 to 1 from an outboard tank, shook out the drips and fitted back onto the air intake whilst the engine was running, engine rev'd like mad for few seconds, filter box had caught hold and I could not get it off again, engine wrecked with a loud bang, broken bits everywhere.

I was not long out of school and had been operating under supervision of someone that should have known better so I did not feel too bad, not usre how the boat owner felt.......or who paid the bill 4 the new donk.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, you think u know what you're doing and get a false sense of security......