The Ocean Race (ex-Volvo, ex-Whitbread)

Zing

Visit site
I couldn‘t find a polar, but the previous much slower non foiling generation look to top out up-wind at between 25kt and 30kt and 11kt boat speed. Unfortunately the higher wind curves are missing.

1674121335514.jpeg

flaming

Visit site
I couldn‘t find a polar, but the previous much slower non foiling generation look to top out up-wind at between 25kt and 30kt and 11kt boat speed. Unfortunately the higher wind curves are missing.

View attachment 149590
The VO65 and the IMOCA are very, very different boats, not really comparable at all.

You generally don't get polars for higher winds, as you're not really sailing to targets in 48 knots... You're sailing to still be in one piece, and the sea state will be far more important than if you have 40, 48 or 58 knots.

dunedin

Visit site
The VO65 and the IMOCA are very, very different boats, not really comparable at all.

You generally don't get polars for higher winds, as you're not really sailing to targets in 48 knots... You're sailing to still be in one piece, and the sea state will be far more important than if you have 40, 48 or 58 knots.
Absolutely - and as you say, when going upwind into 40 knots and associated waves, the foot will be very much off the gas pedal.
Sea state plays such a big factor that conventional polars are probably immaterial (though they may have secret ones developed for different sea states). Unlike old Whitbread boats, will be routing looking for moderate winds and sea states to go fastest rather than the big winds, even downwind.

affinite

Visit site
This is what 33kts on a broad reach sounds/feels like. Yikes!

“I’m super-happy with the performance of the boat and the team,” said a jubilant Herrmann moments after the finish. “It took nearly three days before we could even speak to each other as the boat was so loud and brutal in the tough conditions after the start.

Bobc

Visit site
It's tight at the top. First 3 boats are within about a mile or so of each other.

jlavery

Visit site
I'm not sure the Maliza crew are looking forward to 36 days of the constant foil noise.

Interesting video here The Ocean Race: Spectacular speed and howling dogs on board Malizia in the closing stages of leg 2

I think there's a serious danger of hearing damage if they don't sort it.

Not sure if the other boats have a similar problem. I do know that they're all seriously hard work to live on - the constant acceleration/deceleration and violent ride must be very wearing.

Although maybe the foils give a bit of a better ride than the 65s - a friend who coached on one of the 65s found it very hard - had to sleep feet-first so that every deceleration into the next wave didn't bash their head on the bulkhead!

Bobc

Visit site
I'm not sure the Maliza crew are looking forward to 36 days of the constant foil noise.

Interesting video here The Ocean Race: Spectacular speed and howling dogs on board Malizia in the closing stages of leg 2

I think there's a serious danger of hearing damage if they don't sort it.

Not sure if the other boats have a similar problem. I do know that they're all seriously hard work to live on - the constant acceleration/deceleration and violent ride must be very wearing.

Although maybe the foils give a bit of a better ride than the 65s - a friend who coached on one of the 65s found it very hard - had to sleep feet-first so that every deceleration into the next wave didn't bash their head on the bulkhead!
The noise is more from the rudders than from the foils. I suspect that squaring-off the trailing edges a bit will stop a lot of that noise.