The Noise of Civilisation

Stingo

Visit site
After thirteen years of cruising, cut short by an unfortunate incident, I am struggling to settle back into what people call civilisation. It's unbelievable how noisy it is. I fecking hate it. If you or her-down-below are ever tempted to hang up the anchor, just don't. Suburbia will do your head in.

Stingo

Visit site
... and some encouragement for those just setting out: your boat will never be 100% ready. Just go. Having the sun on your back while anchored in crystal clear waters is a much better place to continue working on your endless to-do list.

Zing

Visit site
Yep. I do it part time. I can’t wait to go properly. Just one more business deal...

And you are right about the human zoo. The trip across London makes my head spin.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
we offend wondered how we would fit back into life on land and dread the day .
for the first time in 10 years we left the boat for two month over winter to dead with a few issues coming back was a joy

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Yes, and you might be walking behind someone in a crowded market when they suddenly stop for no obvious reason... Wham! And it's you that must beg forgiveness.
You do realise that if you ram up the back of a car no matter what you are to blame , :unsure: same as a person, stop sniffing there bum and give them space :LOL:

One A.

Visit site
Yes, and you might be walking behind someone in a crowded market when they suddenly stop for no obvious reason... Wham! And it's you that must beg forgiveness.
The worst! We have a travelator come escalator ie flat, to get up to the supermarket within the market; people look surprised that there are 50 people behind them when they step off and stand stock still and wonder why people are shouting at them to move out the way!

Crisby

Visit site
I took a sabbatical last year and we spent 5&1/2 months onboard in Greece, constant maintenance until the last month or so, didn’t get to half of the places we said we would but absolutely loved it!

We were asked several times if we wanted to get back to ‘reality’ or a ‘normal life’! Going back to work was a real shock to the system and returning to civilisation meant back to Ho Chi Minh City, now that’s noisy!!

Chris

Star-Lord

Visit site
After thirteen years of cruising, cut short by an unfortunate incident, I am struggling to settle back into what people call civilisation. It's unbelievable how noisy it is. I fecking hate it. If you or her-down-below are ever tempted to hang up the anchor, just don't. Suburbia will do your head in.
I am sorry to hear you have been forced back onto land. I am recently berthed next to a four lane city road and find the constant hum quite nice because it reminds me of London, but without the police and ambulance sirens. And to be honest everyone says its busy here but a Londoner would call it deserted!

Surely the worst thing about life on land are the traffic lights!? I love no traffic lights.

shan

Visit site
I'm quite surprised that its other people dawdling that gets up my nose, I'm not any hurry but a snail could out run most of our locals.
I call it the 'museum pace'. It's most annoying and far more tiring than simply walking briskly along to where you need to be.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Next. Is revving your Harley Davidson really necessary, even at 2 a.m.
It was a freak 23°C sunny day on Sunday (now snowing today) here in Switzerland and sitting in the sun on the terrace for the postprandial coffee we were completely disturbed by the cacophony of powerful motorbikes streaming up the road incline across the small valley that lies between us, brought out like a few butterflies by the false spring. The constant racket kept drowning our conversation unlike any other traffic noise on that road.

Why do motorbikes have to be so NOISY? Surely with their enormous power-to-weight ratio, ultimate exhaust efficiency isn't necessary to dispense with any effective silencing technology. Noise pollution is becoming a recognized health problem and these usually younger tearaways are major contributors. The only consolation is that they are also major contributors to the organ donation service here.