The new Apple chartplotter

StephenSails

Visit site
Was sniffing around on the Apple apps shop today as I am about to get a new iPhone and saw the Navionics apps which it says are compatible to the new iPad and that then got me thinking that using the iPad as a chart plotter could be a great idea potentially. It could be a very affordable way to have a large screen (touch) chartplotter for under 500 quid!

Richard10002

Visit site
Was sniffing around on the Apple apps shop today as I am about to get a new iPhone and saw the Navionics apps which it says are compatible to the new iPad and that then got me thinking that using the iPad as a chart plotter could be a great idea potentially. It could be a very affordable way to have a large screen (touch) chartplotter for under 500 quid!

Not waterproof??

D

DogWatch

apps apps give me more apps for my iBore

Last edited:

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
Not waterproof??
iTupperware

clasp_tupperware_1.jpg

StephenSails

Visit site
I am sure there will be some factory in China hurrying a waterproof pouch in to production for it as we speak!

As it has bluetooth I can see quite a few other possibilities such racing software, engine management, switch panel even?

oldvarnish

Visit site
This is an interesting idea. I see from the iPad spec that it doesn't have a built-in GPS so you would need to find a way of getting data into it.
Perhaps you can do that through the iPad's dock.
I used a standalone USB GPS with a laptop (Apple) and if that worked with the iPad, this idea might stand up.

Richard10002

Visit site
I see from the iPad spec that it doesn't have a built-in GPS so you would need to find a way of getting data into it............

Looks like the 3g models have GPS, but they may be closer to £800. Not sure I would want to be using my smart looking expensive iPad in the rough environment of a wet cockpit in a F6.

Just get a cheap, (£300 or so), plotter for using on he boat, on deck.

seanfoster

Visit site
This is an interesting idea. I see from the iPad spec that it doesn't have a built-in GPS so you would need to find a way of getting data into it.
Perhaps you can do that through the iPad's dock.
I used a standalone USB GPS with a laptop (Apple) and if that worked with the iPad, this idea might stand up.

I have a MacBook too, what chartplotter software do you use?

PhilipF

Visit site

I also thought this. But checking with the local Apple dealer (much more helpful I find than the new "Apple Center's", which are appearing in many of the posh shopping new-builds round the country) it seems this would not be possible. Pretty well all GPS's need a USB connection, as does the AIS input. The projected iPad will not have any USB inputs, its integral GPS relies on a 3G signal - so of no use our at sea.

Like you, I am starting to use my MacBook in addition to my existing Chart Plotter. The great advantage to me being the AIS display. The software I've installed is the first class "PassagePlus" :
http://www.windvector.com/passageplus/
The only problem I find is that in strong sunlight the MacBook screen is very hard to view, this being the main reason I was hoping for great things with the iPad. But in any case Passage Plus would not work on the new machine.

Philip

StephenSails

Visit site
A bluetooth GPS dongle takes care of any issues there, and this is the first generation device so by the time I actually buy one I am hoping they have it sorted. What interests me is the possibilities with the apps!

zzjfawce

Visit site
Another vote for PassagePlus. Recently started using it and been impressed, and you can use the Australian electronic raster charts (the licences don't expire after 12 months as I believe the British ones do). If there was a remote, waterproof, sunlight viewable monitor for the Mac, no need for an iPad in the cockpit? Does such a thing exist?

Marmalade

Visit site
Use the Navionics software on my iphone. Obviously not suitable as a plotter but compared to the very naff user interfaces employed by pretty much all plotters - wow... what a great way to navigate.

I agree... Navionics on an ipad would be fabulous - if someone could ruggedise the kit...

www.ericsonyachts.org
I have a MacBook too, what chartplotter software do you use?

I have been using http://www.gpsnavx.com/
for the last four years. Runs very fast on my (now it is officially "old") G4 iBook.
Not sure how it works in the UK, but our NOAA charting is provided at no cost to us over the 'net.

Anyhow, that's just one of several Mac charting applications available.

Only downside to using any OS inexpensive laptop computer is that it has to live a more protected life inside at the nav table away from spray and direct sunlight.

L

Last edited:

PhilipF

Visit site
If there was a remote, waterproof, sunlight viewable monitor for the Mac, no need for an iPad in the cockpit? Does such a thing exist?

I raised this query in the 'hardware' section of Macsailing Net:
http://www.macsailing.net/fbb/index.php you will note the response. You might also like to try Google, with something like 'anti glare mac' or variations of.

thalador

Visit site
Just got navionics

Hi let me put your mind at rest I have the IPad with out internal GPS but I have purchased from eBay at a cost of £99 the BadElf GPS that connects to the port on your IPad with the navionics chart it is great