The Mrs wants me to sell the boat

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Perhaps the problem is that it's a Sealine. If you had a Fairline she wouldn't be complaining!

Seriously though I think you just need to tell her how important it is to you. It's not just a boat but something that defines a bit of you. I still miss my boat over 10 years after selling it.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

No more trips to Teignmouth, Mike? And no cutting down trees and wading through floods to pick up MIL? What will you do with all that extra spare time?:D
Actually, ljs, I've had a bit of a result on the MIL front recently. I was indeed duped into paying to have our little cottage done up for the MIL but she's decided that she's scared of the trees outside so she doesn't want to stay in it. That plus the fact that one of the MIL's rat dogs has taken a dislike to the SWMBO and bitten her so it looks like the invitation to stay has been withdrawn. Sometimes fortune smiles on the just and righteous, eh?

freddy the frog

Visit site
sell the boat build the extension and buy another boat after its all finished , chances are you wont get much boating in once the building starts and then she will have you decorating it when its finished, so sell it now and buy anothr later, also a little break from boating for a couple of seasons is no harm as you will come back fresh and full of enthusiasm if thats how you spell it

SpottyDog5

Visit site
On Tuesday afternoon my much beloved Dad passed away.

Do I remember the days sat at home as a kid while he painted the fence? No

Do I remember the times we weeded the garden together? No.

What I remember was my Dad teaching me to drive a boat 10 years before I could drive a car. I remember days snuggled up under the canopy as the rain pi55ed down, playing cards, I remember helping my dad fix things on the boat, and I remember all of these fondly and it gives me comfort.

Last spring (when we knew he was dying) we arranged to go back to the canal we were on all those years ago. It was a rented boat and it was only for a day, but when he took the helm his face lit up and my wife managed to take a lovely photo of me stood next to him on the rear deck - both looking happy - it's a photo I will always treasure.

You won't look back in a few years and fondly remember when you put the roof on the new extension - but you may look back and regret the day you sold the boat....

Firstly, Sorry for you loss and thank you for your poignant post.
We had a scare the day before christmas eve, when my Dad a mini stroke, instead of a planned christmas on the boat we spend it alongside his hospital bed, thankfully he has recovered. As Gary can testify my Dad is usually very healthy and full of life, so this was a big shock to me.
This did set me thinking about all the things we have done together, a boat features greatly in this, from time fishing, early years sailing to fast rib riding this summer.
One of things that perked him (and me) up was the talk of more of the same.

oGaryo

Visit site
Firstly, Sorry for you loss and thank you for your poignant post.
We had a scare the day before christmas eve, when my Dad a mini stroke, instead of a planned christmas on the boat we spend it alongside his hospital bed, thankfully he has recovered. As Gary can testify my Dad is usually very healthy and full of life, so this was a big shock to me.
This did set me thinking about all the things we have done together, a boat features greatly in this, from time fishing, early years sailing to fast rib riding this summer.
One of things that perked him (and me) up was the talk of more of the same.

Holy shit Roy, please pass on our heart felt regards and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery

Wavey

Visit site
Hope you reach some happy compromise with this. The boat is obviously very important to you, it's something you've worked hard for and get huge enjoyment from. That's not to be dismissed lightly.

oGaryo

Visit site
It's all sorted, I think :) there's a major concern over the lease terms for Debbie's business which has been playing heavily on her mind, it could mean she may need to move premises away from a strong customer base and start up the business again with new clients and some loyal customers willing to travel to benefit from her services wherever she ends up. I've made it clear the boat isn't to be sold unless we really need to financially and in that regard, it's something of a safety net i.e. if the worse does happen, we can consider selling the boat (along with other contingency plans) whilst Debbie gets back to a position of profit in her business. Pretty confident none of that will happen so for now, the boat stays.

Boats eh, always controversial :)

Q

quimby

Good solution , wish you both well for 2015.:encouragement:

SailorBill

In a world of my own where you lot can't find me
Visit site
It's all sorted, I think :) there's a major concern over the lease terms for Debbie's business which has been playing heavily on her mind, it could mean she may need to move premises away from a strong customer base and start up the business again with new clients and some loyal customers willing to travel to benefit from her services wherever she ends up. I've made it clear the boat isn't to be sold unless we really need to financially and in that regard, it's something of a safety net i.e. if the worse does happen, we can consider selling the boat (along with other contingency plans) whilst Debbie gets back to a position of profit in her business. Pretty confident none of that will happen so for now, the boat stays.

Boats eh, always controversial :)

That's good news. Don't forget that another safety net for you is to put the Mrs on ebay. 99p starting bids always attract more bidders and with no reserve you'll be sure to be in a position to keep your boat.

If you decide to go down this route be sure to post a link :D

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk

What I remember was my Dad teaching me to drive a boat 10 years before I could drive a car. I remember days snuggled up under the canopy as the rain pi55ed down, playing cards, I remember helping my dad fix things on the boat, and I remember all of these fondly and it gives me comfort.

Last spring (when we knew he was dying) we arranged to go back to the canal we were on all those years ago. It was a rented boat and it was only for a day, but when he took the helm his face lit up and my wife managed to take a lovely photo of me stood next to him on the rear deck - both looking happy - it's a photo I will always treasure.

You won't look back in a few years and fondly remember when you put the roof on the new extension - but you may look back and regret the day you sold the boat....

+1 what nice heartwarming reply, so sorry for your loss.

SailorBill

In a world of my own where you lot can't find me
Visit site

ontheplane, I didn't see your post but received an email of volvopaul's reply, above, quoting it. Your post moved me almost to tears. Perhaps not for the obvious reasons, which I won't go into, but it moved me anyhow. To anyone reading this and thinking of selling their boat,,, don't. The time spent with loved ones, sharing time afloat or just together, are priceless and you can never ever put that time in the bank to use later. There is more to life than money. Something we all(?) sometimes forget.