The Lynch / Hallsmead Ait mooring

Ma Costa

Visit site
I’ve heard 3rd hand that you are no longer allowed to moor on these islands (between Shiplake and Sonning) - does anyone know whether this is true?

It’s our regular, favourite place to moor with kids to paddle-board St Patrick’s Stream, so I’m really hoping it ain’t so!

Northern Star

Visit site
Only been up there once and it seemed to be full of the un-licenced freeloaders and unwashed with Honda generators to save the planet so no doubt someone got sick of it all ???

Two Soups

Visit site
We tried to moor up there back in July last year for a night and got shouted at by one of the Rowing instructors, so we moved on & ended up at the Lashbrook moorings for the night. So sad that another nice mooring option has gone, just like the islands at Medmenham and, going back even further, Hurley below the big weir (OK, we are going back to the 80s with the Hurley ones!)

Ma Costa

Visit site
We tried to moor up there back in July last year for a night and got shouted at by one of the Rowing instructors, so we moved on & ended up at the Lashbrook moorings for the night.

Do you know why they shouted at you?

Thanks for the replies so far - I’ve emailed the college out of interest - I doubt there’s anything to be done, but it really will limit people’s access to a nice bit of river.

Two Soups

Visit site
He said we weren't allowed to moor there as it was private, which was news to us! To be honest, the last time we moored on that island it stank as it was covered in dog s**t (at least I hope that's what it was?). It wasn't the end of the word to move, just sad it's no longer an option and annoying as on that occasion we were all tied up and looking forward to getting settled for the night.

Ma Costa

Visit site
He said we weren't allowed to moor there as it was private, which was news to us! To be honest, the last time we moored on that island it stank as it was covered in dog s**t (at least I hope that's what it was?). It wasn't the end of the word to move, just sad it's no longer an option and annoying as on that occasion we were all tied up and looking forward to getting settled for the night.

Interesting - we certainly moored there last Summer and weren’t aware of any change. I wonder if the college recently acquired the island - I have a feeling I saw it was for sale a while ago. Although if they have, I wonder why they wanted it? Sound like they will just spend their time chasing boaters off it!

Also, I wonder if the situation is different on the river bank to the island itself.