The Last Post: - Could it save your life?

Fill

Visit site
You may have read Twister Ken’s appreciation of Val Missen (my wife & sailing companion, referred to by me as Mrs Mate). Today I attended her inquest. Val contracted mesothelioma because her employer, SE Gas as was, exposed her to Asbestos in the late 1960's some 5 years after the Factories Inspectorate had warned that even a single fibre could be lethal and staff must be protected from it. Mark you, the first recorded note of problems with asbestos and its lethal nature are a little earlier than that: the Romans issued their slaves with masks as they were aware then that the fibres caused disease.

This is not a diatribe against the Gas Board who we sued – and won, although I would feel justified in one, but a stark warning to all. Further use of asbestos was not banned in this country until 1997: at least Labour got that right, but there are an estimated 600 million tons of the stuff in the UK already in use.

The major manufacturers of this stuff (mined in South Africa) have long mounted a campaign to avoid paying compensation to those killed in extracting it and in denying that it is really harmful- so publicity is not as widespread as it might be.

You might find it as insulation around boat heater exhausts, or as that white corrugated stuff on shed roofs or in the plasterboard of the 1970’s or even as flat board forming the wall in your child’s school. Mesothelioma takes some 25-30 years to manifest itself and so the insurance companies took what they saw as a calculated risk over its use by their clients. Now we are all living longer they are of course screaming like stuck pigs that the payouts are too generous. Of course, we are only talking of a fatal and painful disease: it’s not as if we had been libelled. Moreover, the numbers involved seem likely to make the scares over CJD a tea party in comparison. The coroner for NE Hampshire said he is getting about one case a week with an expected peak in 2012. After this people should have known of the dangers of asbestos and cases should fall.

However, if you do find asbestos anywhere, then DON’T:

- drill it, or saw it;
- allow any fibres to be distributed,
- allow the kids to stick drawing pins in the asbestos wall at school;
- throw it away at the usual rubbish dump – there will be special asbestos tip;
- mess with it in any way, leave it to the experts – and make sure they are taking all precautions.

You may be OK but the fibres are pernicious and you could easily kill someone nearby.

I say this because dying from mesothelioma is inevitable and is a nasty way to go: if you are unlucky even morphine cannot control the pain.

I have waited a while to post this as losing Mrs Mate is worse than I could have believed and I wanted to be able to write coherently. Therefore this will be my last post but if it stops even one of you getting this awful disease then it will have been worth it.

Great sailing to you all.

reginaldon

Visit site
Re: The Last Post: - Could it save your life?

May I add my voice to Dave's, please accept my deep sympathy and thanks for
your very public spirited post.

boatmike

Visit site
I offer you my deepest sympathies and thanks. As one who has worked most of his life in shipbuilding I have lost several friends to it. What you say has been said many times before but it can't be said often enough. Can I endorse that it only needs ONE FIBRE of asbestos to cause the disease..... ONE stupid tiny little fibre of the stuff.... Don't take chances. Ever....

Nick_Pam

Visit site
Fill

My deepest sympathies...Mrs Mate must have been a very special woman.

My daughter (aged 31) has just been exposed to Asbestos dust by a cowboy builder who ripped down an asbetos roof and left the remnants lying around on the floor of the drop-in centre where she is a counsellor...we now have to live through a protracted period of wondering just how this exposure will manifest itself.

Many single mothers and their babies use the facility and as it was open for more than a fortnight before anyone realised the significance of the light grey dust on the window-ledge, only time will reveal the true extent of this potential tragedy.

As far as leaving the forum is concerned, you may have your reasons, but sticking around in the company of friends can be surprisingly theraputic you know!!

Take care and once agan, my sincere condolences

Nick & Pam

sighmoon

Visit site
My sincere condolences, Fill and thank you for posting.

About 18 years ago, when I was a nipper, I was helping out at a work party at our sailing club. A 'responsible adult' and myself were scraping moss off the clubhouse roof, which was asbestos. Good nipper that I was, I did what I was told. He said we'd be fine if we held a handkerchief over our mouths, so that I did. Would it really have helped though?

I haven't really thought about it, as I feel no symptoms, but your post made me wonder, what if... Are there any tests for peace of mind?

RupertW

Visit site
Well, my uncle was involved in knocking some rooms together in pre-fab huts on the RAF base he was posted to 40 years ago, and they were asbestos wall panels.

Last year he started getting some lung problems which were confirmed as connected to asbestos. He can't think of any other time he came close. Nasty stuff, indeed.

Sailfree

Visit site
My deepest sympathy.

Unfortunately many live with an unknown risk. My father-in-law is currently dying from small cell lung cancer believed to be brought on from exposure to asbestos from the pipe lagging in the Royal Navy. Asbestos was found in his lungs but currently the UK forces have crown immunuity I believe up to 1999.

How many of you were DIY motor mechanics and changed clutches or brake shoes or even just brushed out the dust from brake drums. The dust was asbestos!

You are right in what you state, the risks of asbestos were known for years and there was nothing short of a conspiracy to prevent the knowledge becoming more well known. While it is now banned the government have done nothing regarding the commercial act of the major insurers to ring fence an amount of money for compensation and then liquidate those companies that held the liability. Best estimates suggest that the amount is a fraction of what the courts are likely to award in compensation. Not that compensation can ever aleviate close relatives grief it could possibly make some suffers lives more comfortable.

For those that were exposed in the Forces to asbestos I believe the British Legion are currently appealing against the UK crown immunity to the European Courts.

My best wishes to you for what must be a very difficult time.

graham

Visit site
My deepest sympathy.

My father was a pipefitter in contact with asbestos insulation for his 50 years of working life.

He has attended too many funerals of his old workmates who suffered from Asbestosis but now in his 70s hopefully is one of the lucky ones. workers in the construction industry have been unable to claim against former employers due to the nature of the industry they mostly had several different employers over the years and no way of knowing when they inhaled the fibres that got them.

Any company or individual caught flouting the regulations today should be jailed for a long time in my opinion.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Phil,

sorry to read of the agony and anger you must have felt at the inquest. We thoroughly enjoyed your company moored together in Cherbourg in May 03, when Ken was with us, so we feel we know at least a little of Val

It is an excellent post, and I am sure many people will take it on board - I certainly hope so.

But PLEASE do not make it your last one - you have always talked sense on here, and I am sure you will continue to find some fun and fellowship by sticking around.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Nick and Karen