The 'Hebridean' wind vane

Kelpie

Visit site
I recently got chatting to a chap who has designed and built a wind vane system. The design is available in a partially fabircated kit form, with plans, for hte user to complete. The units constructed to date (I believe at least three have been built now) have used wood but there is no reason, other than cost and difficulty, not to use metal, carbon, etc if you so wished.
One unique aspect of the design is that the water paddle and the air turret pivot as a single unit, which greatly simplifies connection to the stern of the yacht. in fact there is only a single connection point and the whole unit can be unbolted in seconds. The designer has, he tells me, allowed for the effect of the vane sweeping through the air as the whole unit pivots- this is part of the inherent feedback of the design.

A couple of friends of mine have installed the system and have just come back from a cruise in company to Faeroe (one was a Co32, the other a Verl 900). They cannot rate it highly enough. I've yet to see it in action myself, and will be very keen to see how it compares to my Navik.

The best bit is that the kit/plan costs only £300.

More details on the designer's website: http://www.windvaneselfsteering.co.uk

No connection, just a curious passerby...

Houleaux

Visit site
This looks really interesting. The sort of thing that perhaps PBO could make / evaluate as a project?

Perhaps a post on the Practical Boat Owner forum would generate more interest?

Kelpie

Visit site
I believe the designer is already talking to one of the magazines, in fact I think he mentioned that the venerable TC might be on his way to have a look, so I guess that means that YM are on the case?

Wansworth

Visit site
If its rugged enough at sea and in port long term it certainly seems a good thing for impoverished sailers,will inquire further,thanks for the info.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Featured in the latest PBO, looks good to me. Available in kit form requiring cutting, drilling etc but no welding required.

Saw it in PBO but now having seen more detail and the videos I'm going to investigate furher. My reverse transom may be a problem, but "no drilling or welding" is essential AFAIC and may get round the transom problem.
A decent price too!

Kelpie

Visit site
Robert, if you pop down to Kyleakin you could view one of the prototypes in person, with a bit of organisation.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Robert, if you pop down to Kyleakin you could view one of the prototypes in person, with a bit of organisation.

Thanks. I 'll PM you if I get sorted. I have my son and family coming up to stay this week so it may well be early September. I could do with a trip out, but if this weather holds it will have to be by road!!

We have a big cable laying ship stooging around (presumably the Lewis-mainland windfarm cable), has been for a couple of weeks. Yesterday she came in and anchored in Gruinard Bay so someone is obviously expecting a really bad wind/sea out in The Minch.

Heavy rain and about F6-7 here as I write. Yuchk!

Steersman

www.steersman.net
We were very grateful to PBO who wrote an article about our self steering gear in the August addition. It's a modern version of the traditional sheet to tiller self steering, but is much easier to use, and sails well down wind.

http://www.steersman.net

We may be interested in sponsoring a Jester Challenger in the next race. Please contact us through our website if you are interested.

Steersman

www.steersman.net
It was an interesting article. Unfortunately I have no headsail. If you can think of a cunning way to make it work with a junk rig I can find dozens of interested people.

Hi rptb1

Interesting question, and having pondered with this challenge overnight, I think I may have a possible solution.

Would you have any pictures of the cockpit of your boat, or any other Junk rigged boat that I could take a look at.

If you have something, could you e-mail it to info@steersman.net

Many thanks

Rob

ScallywagII

Visit site
It was an interesting article. Unfortunately I have no headsail. If you can think of a cunning way to make it work with a junk rig I can find dozens of interested people.

I can't guarantee it would work, but it would cost nothing to try a bungee across the cockpit and wrapped around the tiller. Going to windward it is all that I used on this year's Jester and a previous Atlantic circuit. That was on a Bermudian sloop, but it is worth a try on your junk.

If you were to use a headsail for downwind work, the sheet can be led through blocks to pull the tiller to windward against a bungee. This is very effective and a very inexpensive used sail set flying should do. It may provide a little extra speed as well.

Otherwise I would think that the friction and stretch of a multipart sheet would make any sheet to tiller arrangement challenging.

Len

rptb1

tammynorie.wordpress.com
I can't guarantee it would work, but it would cost nothing to try a bungee across the cockpit and wrapped around the tiller. Going to windward it is all that I used on this year's Jester and a previous Atlantic circuit.

I've been doing this for upwind. You can see it in action here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpEquddIMI#t=526

Let's not drift the thread too far from the subject of the Hebridean wind vane though!