The hardest part of acquiring a new boat is ...

robp

Visit site
Three years ago, when I went through the same thing, I found a web site devoted to it. Mind you, it had more than it's fair share of "TaxHaven" and "Goferbroke" type names! Type in "Boat Names" on an engine and see what comes up. Didn't use any from there though. Then I tried libraries of Mythology, Ancient Greece and Rome etc. A play on words with the class or type is sometimes good. I saw "Late Arival" the other day. That was fun. Then "Legend of....." etc. You could go through 30 different languages for "Wind" or "Speed" etc. I wound up with my wife's first suggestion. It was safer that way!!

You're right it's the hardest thing. Good luck and enjoy.

robp

Visit site
How strange!

Soon as I posted a reply to your week old message, (I've been sailing for ten days), the other 20 replies popped up out of nowhere. Most of it repeated, sorry must have lost the plot!

cynthia

Visit site
For Rachelle

Tried to send you a 'private', but was blocked. Took delivery of our Bav. 34 in March. Mainly very happy, but if you want details of what to check send me an e-mail. Happy sailing.

G

Suggestions

1 Unusual family nicknames. I called my first boat after my father's mother, who to distinguish her from mummy's mummy, was called "Danny Jo"

2 Family "acronyms". Grandpa's boat was called "CENA", the letters being the first and last of his and his wife's first names (Clive and Nora)

3 Don't be afraid of names with sentimental associations. They are generally less ephemeral than clever, intellectual or witty ones.

4 Choose a name ending in a vowel. It is not for nothing that operas sound best in Italian.

G

Call it MAYDAY then you will never be alone...at least on a sunny day
Dave

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
I kinda like the combination of eg (yacht) . . . Cat and (tender) . . . Kitten. So much nicer than T/T . . . Cat.
I did briefly think of Labia Majora and Labia Minora or is that just too too rude? It is appropriately female, though, and sounds rather educated.

G

There was a Southerly at Itchenor in May called "Pebble". Tender was "Plop".

G

Graham,
Yes it does but that well known builder has slipped the dates 3 times the last time at less than a weeks notice!!! is this usual? Still look forward to seeing your pictures of the no 1 boat!

Pete

G

A very athletic...

Golden Retriever but with backing on the steps she should manage it otherwise remove the steps and lower the sprayhood and with a retriever bosuns chair hoist her up!!!! possible worthy of a photograph!!!

Pete

G

Only just spotted this. How about the name Meltemi? I've got a brass name plate going spare. Probably only Peter Gough will understand this

brian_neale

Visit site
My current boat is up for sale, and I am planning to retain the name for my next boat. The boat is named after my daughter, and it does not seem quite right to give it away. The female name style suits the working boat ancestry of both boats as well. In any case, how else would we maintain the "she's been tied up to a buoy all night" jokes? At least, these stay in the family and do not embarrass us when using the VHF!