The Girl Pat

G

Was this the Grimsby registered drifter-trawler that was built by George Overy and Sons Ltd of Oulton Broad in about 1937 or 38, and then her delivery skipper and crew sailed her to the West Indies using a school atlas as a chart. They got a gaol sentence, but so far as I remember, she stayed out there.

She was about 70 feet loa. My uncle built her and I was at her launching. I have heard no more about her but she was damned well built and should have lasted well.

G

I'm sure I read a book back in the 50s/60s about this boat and I think it was titled as the name of the boat. Try your library John.

G

The Girl Pat - does anybody know if this gunrunning ketch is still afloat anywhere. I berthed up beside her in the early 60's in a french harbour.I would like to know more about her life.

G

Yes, and I know the name too, but unfortunately I can't now remember in what connection -- infuriating.

G

There was a book published in 1949 called:

Master of the Girl Pat by Dod Orsborne.

I cannot trace it on any web sites.

G

Two books

There are two books offered for sale on www.abebooks.com. If you type in the words 'Girl Pat' on the search form it will return numerous referrences to 'The Master of the Girl Pat' published in 1949, even one axample of 'Patron de la Girl Pat' from a Belgian bookseller. There is also a single example of a book published in 1937 by the same author with Girl Pat in the title, this last is on offer from:- Ian Barfield, P.O. Box 233, Grimsby, ., United Kingdom, DN31 3XF. Phone: +44 (0) 1472 322191. Fax: +44 (0) 1472 233076. Email: sales@ianbarfield.co.uk ... A member of P.B.F.A.

I have, of course, no connection with any of these commercial organisations except as a satisfied customer of www.abebooks.com. I don't know who Ian Barfield is.

Hope this helps

G

Dod Osborne. Yes, that is the name of the skipper who went a bit bonkers.

G

Re: Two books

Thanks for all the help folks my research will continue .... just a whim but its got under my skin now.