The Chicken Or The Egg

peter gibbs

Visit site
Ok, so back from our road trip and now on the hunt for the next boat. Have seen a few and considering placing an offer on a 36' Ben which unfortunately is due teak deck replacement. Before I place an offer (or at all), I need a steer on likely costs to strip and remove old teak (proper teak, bonded) and refit faux teak. I know it is how long is a piece of string but considering mid range quality and worst case scenario (i.e. deck fitting removal). Complete job, not got time to do such a task. I really am looking whether it is £1k, £3k, £5k, £10k or £20k - to the nearest £5k please. Thank you
Deck replacement for what I guess is a 20 yr old model? Likely other issues will consume your kitty first, just wait and see. I have to "attend" to my teak deck every year with various tricks to keep it presentable and glued down. Same for you if you buy this boat, but if areas are seriously compromised part replacement will prejudice the appearance for you. Whole deck replacement is for the birds.

So, light repairs- go ahead; worse than that, move on, there is always another deal and deck fixer-upping is only for the very brave.

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
So, it has been a while since I posted but I believe it is courteous to provide a progress update.

As of today, we have agreed to purchase and paid for our new (to us) boat, which we are going to moor in Southampton for the time being (Mercury) from Monday 14th August, with a view to move her to Torbay as and when we get a window to make the passage (weather and work) and an agreeable berth.

Thanks to those who contributed with their advice.

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Very nice. You can do serious voyaging with one of those.
Apparently so; Originally, I was looking for a Bavaria, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dufour type around 34-38 feet but it became clear (which I didn't realise until I stepped aboard) that what I was really after was a solid, safe passage maker, much older (1991) for the same budget of sub £60k. Time, tidal experience and location will not afford me the time to make any serious passages but having a boat that is capable enough is satisfaction in itself. I.e. nice to have but not need that the other way around.

Elessar

Visit site
Open to anywhere west of Portsmouth and on South Coast. Everywhere I have tried seems to have a waiting list. Probably the legacy of C-19(?). Needs to be a pontoon walk-ashore set up as given our location, will be arriving late evenings to maximise sailing time. Don’t fancy a tender row at 10pm on day 1 - it’s been hard enough convincing the wife.
Plenty of availability in the Solent in many but not all marinas but mostly high or very high prices.

My pal’s dad bought what I thought was an enormous boat in 1978 and kept it on a swinging mooring in Brixham.

It was my first yacht experience after dinghy sailing and I loved it.

They built Darthaven and basically begged him to put his “enormous” Mirage 28 there - which he did much to the delight of his wife.

A few things have changed since then 😄

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
I saw the ads for that, very nice boat I was quite tempted myself
Thank you.

There's a few upgrades we will be doing, mainly electronics which are very outdated, reupholstery and underwater profiles taken back to original gelcoat to start from scratch but yes, she is a fine example. To quote the surveyor, "She is one of the best examples of Westerly I have surveyed." So, my upgrades are just to make her "ours."