The Best Fish and Chippery

ianat182

Visit site
If you have to use the marina just inside Poole entrance, backing on to Sandbanks there is a very good chippie called T&J's in Lilliput. The place used to be a fish restaurant back in the day, now they also do scallops in batter as well as all other fish options, and the chips are first class also.

ianat182

fitlike

Visit site
When I kept the boat at Portsoy, the chippy there was always the first point of call on the way home, great fresh fish. Even when I moved her to Banff, we tried the Macduff chippy and would always go the extra miles home via Portsoy so we could have there excellent suppers. Now every time we visit Scotland the kids insist we make a trip to Portsoy for a fish supper.

laika

Visit site
Rick Stein's at Padstow. Wasn't expecting them to be anywhere near as good as they are.

We went to Mr. Stein's chippie the year before last (would have liked to have gone to his "proper" restaurant but finances precluded) and had high expectations, sadly not met. Soggy chips, prices 50% more than you'd expect for fish and chips outside of London, limited choice if you don't like your fish cooked in lard (yes yes all the rage for the upper middle classes looking for authentic common people's fare but not my preference) and (I gather from my companion) rather soggy if you don't care. All in all I was surprised that someone with a "brand" like Rick Stein would be putting their name to such mediocrity. I can only think that we must have gone on a bad day.

cryan

www.cryco.co.uk
Anster chippy is not bad but ridiculous prices and queues. It was bought by the Brattisani family from Edinburgh a few years back and its not what it was. If you go inland a bit the chippy in Cupar is pretty good as is Romano's in Burntisland. Both of which will see you with two fillets of Haddock and fine chips for less than Anster. There is a good one in Peterhead too, on the high street, is that Zanres? I forget now? Eyemouth is pretty good too although has declined over the years.
I never really took to English chippys, You use different oil down there I think?

Other threads that may be of interest