That's it - I'm Going

jcmmarine

Visit site
That\'s it - I\'m Going

Found a good berth in Europe. Cheaper mooring (even with travel taken into account) and after November the fuel will be cheaper.
Yes we do most of our cruising in Europe, but when not away long term we will miss having the boat 20 minutes away, keeping an eye on her and going out on the spur of the moment. BUT?????
Before I send off my cheque and give notice on my UK mooring - Can anyone give me a good reason to remain in UK.

carlton

Visit site
Re: That\'s it - I\'m Going

Dunno - but here's a good reason to be leaving...........

360_brown1009.jpg

At the risk of sounding nosey, where's the new berth ?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

No, switch the lights out before you go!

Talulah

Visit site

It's not until you go that you then realise how easy it is to do.
The likes of Ryan Air and FlyBe have made it so possible.
It is so attractive to keep the boat in Brittany for the summer but back in England (and winter rates) to do all the winter jobs. I suspect many people will be considering this option given the tightening of belts.
Good Luck.

neale

Visit site

A couple of things to ponder.

The final price of fuel after Nov is not yet known. Until then there is still the possibility that fuel will be a similar price here to Europe.

Budget airlines and cheap flights. Do they have a long term future? I'm not saying they don't but the prices seem to have crept up recently and with rising fuel prices and pressure from the greens, who knows.

Other than that, it's just the hassle of getting to and from the boat. Some seem to love it but there are others who have tried it and brought their boats back because it was just too much trouble to go to the boat.

Having said all that I still think about moving my boat abroad all the time /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

I can't believe there's any way it works out cheaper. Don't forget to factor in:

Flights, taxis, airport parking, etc
Taxi / hire car the other end
Last minute (expensive) flights when urgent work req'd
Guardiennage when you're not there
Transporting stuff to and from the boat
Paying for work you would have done yourself if it was here
Cost of misunderstandings, lack of negotiation, due to language difficulties
High value of euro makes most spares and accessories more expensive
The effective price of marine diesel is likely to be the same or less here after November

Keep your boat abroad if you want better weather, different cruising grounds, different language and culture, or a break from the UK, but don't kid yourself you'll save money.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Nope, I can confirm that. It definitely is not cheaper than boating in the UK and the only decision is whether that extra cost/hassle is worth the increased pleasure you gain

oldgit

Visit site

Wonder where you are off to ?,best bit is a chance to boat somewhere a bit different from everything you have done before,hope it goes well.

jcmmarine

Visit site

Just returned from checking out marinas and have booked into one near Roermond on the Mass.

450 Euros total from 1st Oct to 31st of March plus 250 euros for each month that I am there in the summer, but as I am normaly crusing for 4 or 5 months the overal should be around 1000 euros a year. Lift outs including pressure wash are less than 200 euros. Electricity 0.25 euro a Kw

A multiple ticket for 12 trips on the ferry works out at £23 per crossing and the trip total trip is less than 10 hours with 380 miles to drive.

Reality is about £2K a year travel and berthing and a much expanded cruising range.

Fuel over there is 1.2 euros a litre and Belgian and French licences are a fraction of those on the Thames.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

Some south coast marinas also offer very cheap winter berthing from Oct to March, you can get a lift and clean at Sea lift for £100, and diesel in Lymington will be about £1 a litre from November.

I'm not knocking your plan at all, but I think you need to justify the extra travel time in terms of the cruising opportunities it will give you, whereas you seem to be focussing more on the cost savings, which personally I don't think are there.

jcmmarine

Visit site

A return trip just cost me £144 in fuel and ferry, but must add to this European relay breakdown cover for the car (now £123 per year but I think I can get better) One way travel time 10 hours, including waiting and head down on ferry.

Lift out waterwash and return is 120 Euros. Staying out no additional cost.

But main justification is being retired and no rush and: We have lots of lovely lake cruisining withing the day and four country cruising within 2 days. In additon we are berthed in the most boating friendly country in Europe.