Thanks !!

Eudorajab

Visit site
..... to the idiot and his mates this Sunday in the solent (boat name withheld intentionally) who with all the water in the world (unusual for the solent on a sunday morning) decided for some inexplicable reason to pass no more than 2 metres off my stern the net result being that they fouled and snappled my mackeral line.

They most definatley saw that I was singlehanded in about 8Kts 8kts apparent on a port tack (before the wind picked up nicely) thye of course were motering. No cone of course. I congratulated myself on being calm and forgiving of such irrational behaviour until the helmsmen of the offending vessel happened to say (he didnt have to shout he was soo close) "Is that a fishing line ?"

All I can say is that I hope he doesnt have a ropecutter and that his prop got well and truly fouled.

Obviously a jetski sailboat day swap !!!!

Anyway.. rant over ... kedge and grappling hook now well within reach in cockpit ... maybe ill catch me a BIG fish next time.

JeremyF

Visit site
I don't get the issue here. The other boat clearly steered a course to clear your stern by 2m. Rather that, than clearing your bow by 2m. How should he guess you were fishing? Were you showing a fishing signal?

<font color=blue>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=blue>

jtwebb

Visit site
A fishing line is almost invisible from another boat. Looking along it from your boat it is obvious it is there. Approaching from another boat it is invisible until too late. I was forced near a pier head in St Malo by the approach of a gaggle of ferries and caught an invisible line which had been cast a very long way out. My rope cutter dealt with it but I found out later remants were round the shaft obstructing water flow through the cutlass bearing.

J Webb

graham

Visit site
Tugs towing barges etc sometimes leave a spare cable dragging astern of the tow attatched to a float.If the tow parts they can pick up the cable astern and get control again more easily.

Cutting close round the stern iof one of these could do more than block your water intake!!

Eudorajab

Visit site
Having sailed in the solent now for many years and been out in the mayhem and scrum of events like the Tall Ships etc. etc. I have absolutely no problem with the close proximity of other vessels, be they power, sail or other. What I do have a problem with and the point I was trying to make is this.

Given all the ranting and raving about powerboats cutting up sailing boats and jetskis cutting up everybody, surely it is totally unnecessary to pass so close to another boat when there is acres of clear water that you can lean out and almost shake hands with the other crew. Fine for passing beers over to friends I agree, but totally unnecessary for any other reason.

I am in no way concerned about the line and if the water had been more crowded I would have (a) not put it out at all or (b) pulled it in a lot sooner. In fact (showing a slight bit of misguided prejudice here but thats another story all together) if it had benn a power boat approaching I would have pulled the line well in advance.

The only point I am tyring to make is .... why on earth do it if there was no need!!

ccscott49

Visit site
It's crass stupidity to get that close to another boat, when theres no need, what if you had suddenly had to stop for something in the water, he would have "t" boned you, bluidy ridiculous! IMHO /forums/images/icons/wink.gif