thames holiday cruise - any suggestions

TrueBlue

Visit site
How can anyone who has more than a weekend at his disposal and a boat that can be slept in get bored of the Thames?
I'm getting ready for 3 weeks away, getting one boat ready for sale and the other ready for the trip, can't wait!

We're beginning to get bored - not so much for the River, but the ever increasing restrictions and hordes of aggressive notices put up by a cowboy operator - even upstream where most boaters fear to go. Above Oxford there's at least two miles of notices on the nearside where few occasional boats ever moored and even less liveaboards.

Fortunately the other bank is not so plastered - so we moor there instead.

Off to the Nen / Nene shortly where you probably can't moor anywhere...

Brayman

Visit site
How can anyone who has more than a weekend at his disposal and a boat that can be slept in get bored of the Thames?
I'm getting ready for 3 weeks away, getting one boat ready for sale and the other ready for the trip, can't wait!

Totally agree, there is no navigable river in the land that is as attractive as the Thames - on so many levels.

CX54WEK

Visit site

If our two week summer holiday onboard was the same trip every year I think we would have given in boating years ago.

Variety is the spice of life.

The Thames may be great, but there are so many other great waterways in the UK and our varied coastline to explore as well.

Sadly we cancelled this year's planned trip to the Thames due to gaining a dog. In hindsight we could have come as he has taken to boating like a duck to water. But I'm sure we will enjoy two weeks on the Broads instead which we know is super dog friendly.

The Thames can wait.

prof pat pending

Visit site
Above Oxford there's at least two miles of notices on the nearside where few occasional boats ever moored and even less livabourds

Fortunately there are plenty of other moorings available now the other signs have gone up.
Eynsham Lock to Oxford Cruisers is now pretty much clear of moored boats

Actionmat

Visit site
WHat trees? We moor outside the bridge on the river. and the Wirefences have not affected the walk into town?

From before the Thame bridge to the lock was a lovely stretch of the river, last year it looked nothing short of fugly. Trees butchered, ugly fence. Even the pill box past the lock is fenced off. Nowadays I just keep going,

TrueBlue

Visit site
From before the Thame bridge to the lock was a lovely stretch of the river, last year it looked nothing short of fugly. Trees butchered, ugly fence. Even the pill box past the lock is fenced off. Nowadays I just keep going,

That all may not be the owner's fault.
Tree butchering is just part of managing willows and several had fallen into the river in recent years - probably finding themselves over the weirs. They'll soon grow again.

Fencing off the pillbox may well be 'elfin safety - either for his endangered cattle's sake or to stop idiots damaging themselves and suing him...
At least the locals were listened to and (I think) they can now get back to paddling where they used to.

The rest of the fences are a bit clinical - all straight lines and ramble proof, a shame maybe but better than letting it lie fallow.

CX54WEK

Visit site
That's right. Don't even think of coming up North as its horrible.

Yep. Its grim up North.

20180609_211636.jpg

DSC_0771.jpg

20180519_130528.jpg