Thames Estuary

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Hi all thinking of heading out into the Thames Estuary nexy spring / summer :) if we get one, I’m happy getting to St Cats and going past that but what can I expect to find further down and where are the best overnight moorings. THen grand plan is to try things out bit by bit then get to Calis one day.

I’ll be in a Fairline Holiday with a single, but new diesel engine, transplanted this year.

Peter

suzanne

Visit site
Past St Kats you've then got Limehouse, fantastic dock, easy access to the DLR, Canary Wharf and has Cruising Association Club House which is very nice. Right at the bottom you've them got the entrance to the Medway, Gillingham Marina's nice, only been there once but liked it. Chatham Marina is meant to be ok and if your a member of a club your probably be made quite welcome at Rochester Cruising Club although if you ask Paulineb she might tell you to avoid it, can be quite smelly there sometimes. The place to stop before you cross to Calais is either Ramsgate or Dover. Excellent Fish n Chips in Ramsgate and Dover is obviously quite picturesque. Hope am alittle help.

Suzanne xXx

G

Hi Peter, The first time down is a little bit daunting, so my advice would be to take a friend who has experienced it before to show you the ropes. Once past Dagenham the river broadens out quite quickly and past Tilbury it is quite difficult to spot the bouys that guide you down the river. The River Medway is your best bet for overnight moorings, otherwise it's on to Ramsgate on the southern side or probably Burnham on the northern side. Unless you are sure the light will hold, I wouldn't want to attempt a first time entry into Ramsgate in the dark, the light's around there are not the best and it's very busy with ferry's etc. not the place to be searching for at at night. Dover, again incredibly busy, but great if the weather conditions allow you quick blast over to Calais.
Wish I could come with you! Have fun,
Cheers, Peter.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
thanks to both of you, may well have a friend or two with me with bigger boats and more experience, so hear's to hoping they can come, Peter you're more than welcome, just IM me and let me know.

Thanks again

Peter

G

Don't underestimate conditions on the estuary. From the Pool downwards you can expect very heavy wash conditions and once into Gravesend Reach and Sea Reach you can encounter surprisingly heavy conditions in relatively light winds, the old wind-over-tide syndrome if there is a light easterly over a spring ebb. I've done it in boats from 25' to 130' and had surprises at both extremes. Make sure that your fuel tank(s) are properly clean (and I don't just mean drain them of water: scrub them out!) and preferably have duplex filter installations, these precautions being essential if the boat has only been used on inland waters for some years. A good chop can soon stir up all sorts of gremlins to block your fuel filters.

As for other posts the Medway (Queenborough, Gillingham, Hoo etc. offer good stopovers and there is a good quiet anchorage at Harty Ferry.

G

Hi Peter, me again, thanks for the invitation. I'm based in South Bucks but spend increasing amounts of time overseas, nevertheless I would be delighted to help if I'm around when you do it. Perhaps it might be an idea to go with your friends on one of their boats beforehand to get a feel for what is ahead.
The advice from all the others is excellent, but didn't want to put you off having an adventure in the future. I assumed that being in a smallish boat that you would only 'go' in very settled conditions.
They say that if you can navigate in the Thames Estuary you can navigate anywhere, so do be careful of all the sandbanks, mudflats and cross currents.
Prepare a good outward/return passage plan beforehand so you can turn back if necessary at short notice. Once in the tideway the boat should be prepared as if for going to sea, with the appropriate amounts of safety equipment already aboard. Once again Have fun!!
Peter.

Visit site
Have you considered joining a club?

Lots of the Thames clubs do this kind of trip every year and its a good way to do the first trip and learn the ropes.

You would have boats around you for help if you need it and some companionship too.

syd

Visit site
Hi Peter,
I'm moored at Thurrock Yacht Club by Tilbury Docks (where I work) on a swinging mooring. If you need a place to stop off for a break, fuel, water or a chat even, just hook up to the visitors moorings and give us a call on channel 37. I'm off to Burnham in the spring in my 29' Bayliner, if it tallies up with your plans I'd love to tag along.
You've been supplied with some excellent advice, especially the NE wind on an ebb tide, been through that scenario, it was rough but not bad enough to have to turn back. (That time). By the time you get to HoleHaven you'll know if its going to be heavy going or not, if it is then there are moorings near the Lobster Smack pub at Holehaven. I've had loads of calm, relaxed, enjoyable jaunts about the estuary, even crossed its entirety a few times from Burnham to Dover/Calais and return. Just keep an eye on the wind, your charts and your depth sounder.
Admiral Nelson himself was reputed to say, The Thames Estuary is "As Tricky as a fox and as dangerous as a tiger".
Take care.
Syd

miket

Visit site
Don't dismiss the E Coast harbours- Burnham on up.

Not so smart maybe, but hospitable and not all mud as I assumed before my first trip there.

traceyandsteve

Visit site
We're berthed at Burnham Yacht Harbour and it's very pleasant. Open access at all waters, and quite roomy for getting in and out for those with not much boat handling experience.

There is no club there as such, although there is a nice restaurant (Swallowtail) where you'll get a very nice a la carte meal and bar meals are excellent value.

Harbour master is called Bill and he's very helpful.

Tracey

syd

Visit site
Hiya Byron
How's the presidential suite? (enjoyed that posting)

If you are passing and would like a break you can either call us on channel 37 or phone on 01375 373720,mention Paul (sydney)Stevenson it may help get the kettle on, just before you hook up to the visitors mooring or any available mooring on the outer trot, furthest row of buoys from the shore. Nine times out of ten there will be someone there to row out to you or assist you with mooring against the wall if the water is high.
Unfortunately there is a lenght restriction of 33 ft.
Look forward to pulling you a pint. Next season?
Take care
Syd

syd

Visit site
37ft, thats a shame, I meen for us anyway not for you of course.
When pottering about the boat whilst on the mooring I usually keep a listen out on 68, the club is always tuned to 37.
My boat is the white Bayliner, Lauron "G", the only flybridge boat at the club. we go up to St Kats a hell of a lot in the summer(luv the place), might see you there.
Give us a wave next time you're passing I'll look out for you.
Take care
Syd

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Re: Thames Estuary - Clubs

Hi, yes used to be marketing officer at a Thames based club, my wife was Treasurer but all the club did was get pi**ed all the time and have committee meetings where the committee got bigger than the total number of members they presided over.

It far more helpful to talk to people in this forum with sound credible advice based on experience. But to be fair not all of them where like that and I still keep in touch with some of the crews.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
First of all a big big thank you to all you salty sea dogs from a little fresh water fish  The advice is greatly welcomed and has been noted. I have a file with all the comments in that will help me plan a trip down river next year – I’ll post a note on the forum for anyone wishing to meet up along the way.

I know my boat is quite small and I have no plans to brave the waves so intend to be more than cautious when out and about – Have done St Cats with friends before so happy to there, plan to go down to the barrier on one day then back to safe haven then may be go down again a bit further the next day to an alternative mooring for a night or two – if we don’t like it we’ll just head back to St Cats and stay there.

On the point of safety, will take most common sense things, flare packs, wear life jackets and suitable all weather gear, any hits an tips on those little extras one should take ?? Is a tender an essential ?

Happy and Merry everything to everyone and once again your advice is very helpful, thank you.

Regards, happy and safe boating.

Peter