Thames BSC - info needed

peterg

Visit site
we are thinking of moving our boating onto the Thames and although we have got some info on the river (I work in Richmond) I don't know much about this Boat Safety Certificate thingy and would like to read up on it so I know what to expect if we do buy a boat for this purpose (particularly if it hasn't previously been used where you need a BSC and therefore hasn't been checked over before)

Is there a site where I can download the requirements needed to get a certificate?

Thanks for any help

G

The Boat Safety Scheme applies to British Waterways and Environment Agency waters. There is info on BW web site or you can ring them at Watford (Dir enqs) and they will send you their lit pack on the BSS which will probably confuse you no end.

The BSS has been greatly modified and relaxed of late so a lot of what you read will be out of date.

My advice would be talk to boaters on the Thames and find a sensible examiner who will interpret the regs with you in mind.

G

I can very strongly recommend Mr Nick Allen at Molesey. He has just examined my boat and gave a very fair report. She failed but on points that are easily rectified. His chares are reasonable especially for a retest. He also provides a very comprehensive failure report - if necessary.

It turns out that my boat should probably not have passed the test when she was first tested - which is annoying - but these things happen.

You can get hold of Nick Allen on 020 8979 1997 or 07710 280889.

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Hi, I've been on the Thames for 5 years now, from Windsor to Henley and I always use Ian Hailey - 01628 472529 or 07771 636295 - he's independant and has no interest in failing boats, just a good inspection that meets the regs, his fees are reasonable and he is very well respected on the river. I called him some 2 years after my BSS inspection and he remembered me and my boat - it passed first time, nothing unusual - he's just a great guy and good for advice as well. Avoid at all costs RYB Windsor - bad service and bad prices - also any BSS inspection survey with servicing on site, they are normally after the work - personal opinion which I'm entitled to - just in case !!!

All the best. and welcome to the Thames.

Peter