Testing under load

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have an issue with my new to me Yamaha 75 hp 2 stroke and after I have worked on things it needs to be tested under load. I can obviously tow the boat to the nearest water which is a significant faff. I don’t think you could get a tank big enough to test a 75 hp at high rpm under load.

Is there another way to do this

jakew009

Visit site
You can get test wheel propellers which are a bit like a food blender blade. They are designed to simulate the load on an engine in a test tank without making a huge mess. You could make something similar by cutting down an old propeller.

But it’s probably easier for you just to take it to the nearest slipway.

Binnacle

Visit site
Any big outboard supplier I've been into has a tank, and a crane system for testing rebuilt o/bs.

Hand your Yam over to a professional; they know what to do and how to do in half the time, and almost certainly in a lot safer fashion than you tying up a RIB to a pontoon and going WOT.

Thses people are in your neck of the woods and seem to be approved by the forum.

75-90hp 2 stroke?

Last edited:

James jameson

Visit site
even if you get a tank large enough you will not get full revs as you’ll have a static load, the only way to find your problem and get full revs under load is on a free to run boat

SC35

Visit site
even if you get a tank large enough you will not get full revs as you’ll have a static load, the only way to find your problem and get full revs under load is on a free to run boat

It's true you won't get full revs in a tank, but it's a good simulation of "trying to plane" and will flesh out a lot of problems without actually doing a sea trial.