Testing high powered diesel engine on a boat located on a river

pstockbridge

Visit site
I am interested in a boat currently moored on an inland river marina. I would be relocating it to a coastal marina. The engine is a 380hp Yanmar. I would normally carry out a sea trial to get the engine and gearbox up to working temperature / pressure in order to assess condition and to see if there are any problems. However, the river has a 4mph speed limit which makes this impossible (and I have to ask why a high powered offshore cruiser is marooned in an inland location?!) As Yanmar engines are eye-wateringly expensive to repair, it's not a risk I can take unless any of you can suggest a reliable method of carrying out appropriate tests? As always, many thanks for helpful suggestions!

oldgit

Visit site
In the past it had been known on the Thames for a boat to be securely fastened to the bollards on the bank outside a well known marina and the engine(s) run at WOT until they have reached operating temps to see if anything breaks overheats or makes worrying noises.
This is not to be encouraged of course.
However if you were possibly considering bringing this boat below Teddington to its new home some distance away at any sort of speed.

pstockbridge

Visit site
Talk to the broker/owner. Express your concerns...... Make it their problem. Depending on the value/need to sell/asking price.... It is very much their job to prove its worth, or reduce the price/risk.
Thanks, very sensible advice. I've already sent quite a few questions to the broker, but so far have had no reply - not an encouraging start!

pstockbridge

Visit site
In the past it had been known on the Thames for a boat to be securely fastened to the bollards on the bank outside a well known marina and the engine(s) run at WOT until they have reached operating temps to see if anything breaks overheats or makes worrying noises.
This is not to be encouraged of course.
However if you were possibly considering bringing this boat below Teddington to its new home some distance away at any sort of speed.
Not on the Thames - a very much smaller river and I think WOT would have a very significant effect on it! I would have to arrange road transfer to the other side of the country as well!

philipdawsonladds

Visit site
There's an 8Kt limit in Chichester harbour but also a marked mile (half in reality) - the harbour master gives permission with the right flags to use this at 20Kts for up to 30 minutes - maybe something similar somewhere on the river? Early morning?

Switch

Visit site
I had the same problem when i purchased my boat. It had spent most of its life on river Thames, I wanted to use it on the Solent and further afield. We couldn’t test it properly for the reasons you’ve explained. My engineer suggested that we agree with all parties to hold back a percentage of the sale price subject to a satisfactory a sea trial when the boat was delivered. This worked well for me as during the sea trial both engines overheated (unsurprisingly). The remedial work was completed using the held back funds. Everyone was happy with this solution.

Momac

Visit site
Depending on the location there may be areas where a run at speed will be tolerated even if over a short distance and possibly with the broker or surveyor at the helm.

However there are plenty of salty water boats located on rivers. They might see salty water only occasionally but that doesn't mean they are faulty.
Would you prefer a boat located on the coast that has not left the maria in half a dozen years ? I suspect not.

The location of the boat is not so important . But its condition and at least some evidence of service history and regular use is very important.

Neil1300r

Visit site
There's an 8Kt limit in Chichester harbour but also a marked mile (half in reality) - the harbour master gives permission with the right flags to use this at 20Kts for up to 30 minutes - maybe something similar somewhere on the river? Early morning?
Only up until the end of May, then I think it's October. I only know as I bought a boat at Birdham at the end of May, and just got a WOT In, having sought the Harbour Masters permission, in writing. Even had to agree a half hour slot. No mention of a speed limit, we were at 28 /29 knots

oldgit

Visit site
Some might suggest that a boat used on any inland waterway might not have its fuel system maintained quite so meticulously as one kept in a coastal location.
Would suggest that any new owner intending to bring a boat back home on its own keel takes any sellers assurances that "Everything has been serviced recently" , with a large pinch of salt. 5 months ago or 5 years ago , especially as boats can lie idle for some time before sale.

Skipper purchased a boat around 18 months ago, used it quite extensively while going through everything in turn.
First proper coastal trip was marred mid return on a single engine due to fuel blockage on the other engine.
Did have spare filters on board but as was in company, just kept going.

Momac

Visit site
Some might suggest that a boat used on any inland waterway might not have its fuel system maintained quite so meticulously as one kept in a coastal location.
Might not.
On the other hand many boats kept inland do make sea trips even if , say, only once a year .

A river boat may be serviced / kept just as well as a coastal boat. A river boat may do more hours as it is not confined by tides and less confined by weather so likely to have its oil changed annually at the very least.
Equally a coastal boat may be little used and due to low hours serviced infrequently. Boats don't usually wear out but they can rot from lack of use.

There is certainly no guarantee one way or another that any used boat will be trouble free. Its best to assume the opposite is true.

SC35

Visit site
It is said that an SC35 achieved almost 30kts up the river near Burton Waters marina on err a river trial.