tender suggestion

prinex

Visit site
Hello everyone, I just finished moving the boat to Greece from Croatia, 480 odd miles, we took it easy (beside Albania which has basically 1 real marina, the picture is from the port of Dürres which has some kind of mooring - super nice people btw).

Lots of things learned about the boat (Im looking at you damn waste water pump ! ) and beside a connector to a sensor in the port engine that was loose and giving random readings all went perfect.

What we did not like was the placement of the tender on the bathing platform which is always in the way and with 4 people on board is really low on the water (so you often get wet). And everytime we would stop for a swim the tender had to go in the water and back - not a big job but a bit of an hassle. We really would like a bigger tender so we can use it to explore around even if 4 people are on board - basically getting it to planing speed and not getting drenched every 2nd wave).

Is there a tender / rib which can fit in the 4.75 meter width (the previous owner still has the besenzoni crane at home never installed) that can be used for exploring around without getting drenched ? My idea is to tow it most of the time when going for larger trips and crane it on the fly when we are in marina / day trip mode.

Not sure how much the besenzoni crane can handle but it should be 300kg at least.

1725171624127.png

Hurricane

Visit site
I have some experience in this but with a bigger mothership.
I fully agree with you about having a big tender that can go places without its occupants getting wet.
Also, fit the biggest engine you can.

Firstly
I definitely do NOT recommend towing.
I tried it and it was a real PIA.
You wouldn't believe the load on the tow line.
Also, when anchored overnight, I like to be "ready to go" if the weather changes and having a tender in the water is a hassle you don't want when things turn nasty.
So you need to be set up so that a few minutes before bed, you lift the tender onto the platform.

Another concern is berthing in the marina.
In your calculations, you need to "factor in" your passerelle so that you can get on/off the boat in a Med marina.
This often means that the tender's consol will obstruct the passerelle.

As to the length of the tender, you need to ensure that it will fit between the "cheeks" (I call them) either side of the platform.
The bow will naturally form around one side but the stern is wider on the other side.

All this means that you will need to get that crane installed and working.
300Kg is a good estimate for the crane's SWL.
The good news though is that it has never been installed so you can place it in a convenient position.

Taking the above into consideration, I would like to suggest a Novurania DL
These boats are particularly spacious for their size in comparison to other manufacturers.
Have a look at this website DL - Novurania
You will see from that page that there are various sizes available.
We (and a few others on this forum) bought the Novurania 430DL with a console.
This is a really good tender for doing the stuff you want to do - a group of you going ashore for dinner etc without getting wet.
These tenders are often used by much larger yachts because they do exactly what you are asking.
They should be described as a RIB rather than a tender.

Having a bigger boat means that we can get away with storing the tender on the flybridge when not in use.
But when at anchor, it also goes nicely on the bathing platform.
Our cassette passerelle is more of a problem than yours - we have to recover our tender to the flybridge before going into a marina.
But our concepts and requirements are similar to yours.

Here are some photos

This one was taken whilst I was "mocking up" the chocks.
The same chocks fit on the flybridge and the bathing platform.
IMG_9132_Small.JPG

More of a RIB than a tender
IMG_8197e.resized.jpg

IMG_8711e_Small.jpg

We don't use it much but ours also has a Bimini
P8130207.resized.JPG

Most of the time, ours lives on the flybridge - probably not an option for you but worth checking to see if a smaller one will fit.
IMG_8736_Small.JPG

prinex

Visit site
Thank you Hurricane great suggestion. The fly on the AZ55 is not that wide but the Reling on the sides are pretty low. Maybe I can place the tender so that the bug and the propeller go over the Reling - would look a bit strange but who cares.

Need to check what the crane can lift.

Hurricane

Visit site
would look a bit strange but who cares.
When we bought our boat, the salesman said that a 4m tender would look awful.
I went along with him and bought a smaller tender.
But then a few years later, I decided to "go with my original" thought.
Yep - it is big but much more useable.

I always encourage people to buy the biggest tender that they can manage.
I also suggest the biggest engine but thats not as essential as a big tender.
And don't mind what people think.

Do you think there could be enough space on the flybridge - maybe have taller chocks to lift it clear of the "wings" (my name for the GRP bits at the aft edge of the flybridge)
Then fit a crane on the flybridge.
Generally speaking, the Novurania is lighter with more seating space than other GRP tenders.
You would need to see if the flybridge overhang is strong enough but I bet you could have 6 adults up there - more than the weight we are suggesting.
My boat was built for it with extra reinforcing so it was a "no brainer" for me.

Another area to look is aluminium tenders which ar MUCH lighter.

EDIT
It is probably best to offset the crane to one side of the boat so that you can lift it clear of the bathing platform like this:
(this photo was taken with the old tender - not the Novurania but it shows the process)
DSC_0182.resized.JPG

However, The crane should also be able to lift the tender on/off the bathing platform like this

IMG_9119_Small.JPG

At anchor, we position our tender alongside the starboard side - lift and rotate the crane so that it drops onto the platform.
Easily done with two people - or one at a push.
Our crane telescopes as well so that this is possible.

Last edited:

prinex

Visit site
The Novurania DL 430 DL 430 - Novurania says "average dry weight" 400 kg ... this is with the engine ? Or just the hull ?

The Alumina from AB Inflatables https://www.abinflatables.com/ribs-dinghies/alumina/alumina-15-alx/ says "weight 218 kg" .. add another 120kg for a 50hp and we are at 440kg.

The one we have now is a Grand G340 G340 - Grand Boats - which weights 129kg plus another 80 or so for the engine - total 210 kq.

So I guess I need a 600kg crane - I need to check with previous owner what crane he has and found someone at azimut that can answer the structural question (this will be hard..)

Hurricane

Visit site
The Novurania DL 430 DL 430 - Novurania says "average dry weight" 400 kg ... this is with the engine ? Or just the hull ?

The Alumina from AB Inflatables Alumina 15 ALX - AB Inflatables says "weight 218 kg" .. add another 120kg for a 50hp and we are at 440kg.

The one we have now is a Grand G340 G340 - Grand Boats - which weights 129kg plus another 80 or so for the engine - total 210 kq.

So I guess I need a 600kg crane - I need to check with previous owner what crane he has and found someone at azimut that can answer the structural question (this will be hard..)
Just checked this brochure for the Novurania
DL Brochure Series - Novurania - PDF Catalogs | Documentation | Boating Brochures
It specifically indicates that the 430DL is 217Kgs without engine.
A Yamaha F70 (like mine) is 114Kgs
But you might have to settle for a smaller tender anyway.
So maybe a 360DL at 193 Kgs or the 400DL at 204Kgs.
The 430DL works well with a Yamaha F60 at 112 kgs (maybe loose another 15 to 20 Kgs with smaller engines).
So, IMO, 400Kgs crane should do the job - 300Kg at a push with a smaller tender/engine.