Ten days alone

bbg

Visit site
Last summer I finished a 10 day, 1,000 nm solo circuit and made a brief post about it. It has taken me a long time to write up a full report, but for those who are interested it is now on my blog.

I know my kind of sailing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I also know that a lot of people on this board do some singlehanded sailing - sometimes long distance - so it might be interesting.

Look for the post "Ten days alone", and then underneath that there is a link that shows the track I took.

sarabande

Visit site
that is inspirational stuff BBG, really proper sailing.

I love the bit where you are at the top of the mast, and see the pot markers 200m ahead, whip out the remote for the autopilot and calmly alter course. What an image !!

If ever there is a justification for "Qualif" your summary provides it.

Excellent reporting.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
HA! I was going to say I know somebody called Keith who would be useful for you to talk to, then read your blog and found that you are already in contact.

Knowing how much he enjoyed the challenge, the rough and the smooth, I wish you all the best !!

monkfish24

Visit site
This is something I'm very interested in doing but don't have the money at all, perhaps something later on down the line.

This is definitly very inspiring though and a great read!

Visit site
interesting blog BBG. We have one of those pogo boats just arrived at our club - dont know whether the owner has any long distance plans though. He tried it in the club IRC races but it didnt do well against the sports boats - he seemed to think it was maximised for the mostly downwind transat course

bbg

Visit site
Thanks again to all for the positive feedback, especially the nice comments about the writing. I wish some of the magazines had agreed with you, as no-one seemed to want to publish it ;-)

My blog will be updated from time to time (not every day or even every week, as I don't think people want to read about the minutiae of life), so if you are interested by all means keep track and feel free to leave comments or questions. I'd be happy to give information about what people are interested in.

To those who have said they might be doing it ... some people seem to do it on very tight budgets. Broadly speaking there seem to be three categories of people doing the mini transat - the young guys (and gals) on a really tight budget, who are stretching every € as far as it will go and hoping this leads to a bigger career in sailing; the older people who are taking time off from their jobs (like me) and the fully sponsored pros (very few and far between).

Next up are a couple of races in April / May - possibly even the UK Mini Fastnet from Plymouth - and if I finish those I will have qualified for the Transat. If the entry list isn't already full by then!

Babylon

Visit site
Thanks again to all for the positive feedback, especially the nice comments about the writing. I wish some of the magazines had agreed with you, as no-one seemed to want to publish it ;-)

Maybe they don't want to raise the bar?

Next up are a couple of races in April / May - possibly even the UK Mini Fastnet from Plymouth - and if I finish those I will have qualified for the Transat. If the entry list isn't already full by then!

Good luck, and I look forward to reading more of your blog! Can you prompt us parishioners as-and-when you've loaded more passage write-ups?

bbg

Visit site
Good luck, and I look forward to reading more of your blog! Can you prompt us parishioners as-and-when you've loaded more passage write-ups?
I think I can manage that. First race of the season should be a short 150 mile double-handed race in about 6 weeks, so I'll write that up.