Temporary stainless steel ‘repair’

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
My exhaust on the VP122D is split/leaking re water where it meets the turbo and is leaking raw water into the bilge. Is there a product like ‘magic metal’ that I could use temporarily until the end of the season?

It looks like it may have been welded before when I zoom in on it.

Attachments

• A9E02EC2-0FFB-44B2-A4EA-42F75148761E.jpeg
    A9E02EC2-0FFB-44B2-A4EA-42F75148761E.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 62

Bandit

Visit site
Looks like the weld has fractured / failed , I cant see from Photo?

Difficult to know what separation of top part from bottom part would mean?

My view fumes and dirty seawater in the engine room, repair or replace!

How old is it The replacemnt should last the same tine.

Plum

Visit site
My exhaust on the VP122D is split/leaking re water where it meets the turbo and is leaking raw water into the bilge. Is there a product like ‘magic metal’ that I could use temporarily until the end of the season?

It looks like it may have been welded before when I zoom in on it.
Can you post a picture showing the whole item?

Bouba

Visit site
That’s quite a crack...are you sure it’s stainless...it looks a bit like a cast iron crack

Bouba

Visit site
Actually it now looks different from that perspective...it’s a 90 degree join that has split...on the original photo it looked like the crack was in the body
It looks like the original weld seam was very fine....not enough filler material

BruceK

Visit site
If its not a stress point I'd use silver solder and braze it closed for a semi permanent and even permanent fix. Very easy to work with a butane torch but may take a while to bring the parent metal up to temp. Mapgas would speed it up but don't make it too hot or the flux burns.

Portofino

Visit site
Looking @ the 2 nd pic and reading the description, just ensure the crack does not facilitate water ingress into the turbo by any means .If there is a risk stop using the boat and replace ASAP .

Can‘t tell from the pics thus far wether it’s just a external jacket crack or something else or exactly what set up VP / builder have deployed .
Normal convention means the engine manufacturers cease responsibility at the exhaust turbo flange , and the builder picks up responsibility there after the exhaust basically.

They can usually be replaced in situ with the boat in the water .
Normally custom made .Best done as a pair for piece of mind as the other side won’t be far behind .

Patch up welds will fail in a marine environment exhaust as they already have .

More here for those interested?

New exhausts

Last edited:

ElJames

Visit site
I think some of you have lost the plot he said he wants recommendation to do a bush repair until the end of season J B Weld or Araldite or any good metal repair system I personally would go for Araldite but J B Weld is also good the trick is to make sure it clean free of oil and dry and keep a watchful eye on it
Good luck

jrudge

Visit site
I dont think anyone has lost the plot !

It is an exhaust leaking water ( and hence gas).

if it goes ( which looking at it it will) then (a) there is a lot of water and ( b) - the bigger issue - there is pressurised soot that gets everywhere. There was a Squadron 58 in Cala dor where this happened. The clean up cost £20,000 on the insurance. Given this is now posted on line and has not been fixed the insurers would likely ( and correctly) decline the claim as the boat was taken to sea in an unacceptable state.

I have just repalaced an exhaust with a fraction of the damage that one had.

A bush repair to the end of the season to quote you is not something to consider in April when the season has not started!

For 2 days in September going a mile round the corner slowly - maybe - but in April - not a hope!

Get a new exhaust made.

Portofino

Visit site
I dont think anyone has lost the plot !

It is an exhaust leaking water ( and hence gas).

if it goes ( which looking at it it will) then (a) there is a lot of water and ( b) - the bigger issue - there is pressurised soot that gets everywhere. There was a Squadron 58 in Cala dor where this happened. The clean up cost £20,000 on the insurance. Given this is now posted on line and has not been fixed the insurers would likely ( and correctly) decline the claim as the boat was taken to sea in an unacceptable state.

I have just repalaced an exhaust with a fraction of the damage that one had.

A bush repair to the end of the season to quote you is not something to consider in April when the season has not started!

For 2 days in September going a mile round the corner slowly - maybe - but in April - not a hope!

Get a new exhaust made.
Well said J .