Tell me about Brightlingsea Marina...

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
So I see that the marina is now being run by the HA....

We are encumbered by the dog in our cruise next week... and it would be a possible option with him...

Are their actually visitor spots in there, and if so, how much water is in the place?

Any other tips?

Info greatfully received...

ianfr

picasaweb.google.com
We almost always use the marina if we can, to be able to walk off and on at any time. The Water is about 2 metres minimum in the larger of the two enclosures, but obviously the sill is totally dry at low water. With a dog it will save a fortune on the water taxi. We used to have to take our dog ashore at least 4 times after arriving at Brightlingsea, at £2 each way for us to take her ashore with the water taxi it soon mounts up.

Free electricity and water are of course useful, it can be a tad noisy sometimes, but then the pontoons can get noisy in a wind with lots of boats that don't frap their rigging overnight.

Ian

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I draw 1.4m and spent a couple of weeks in the marina in May. Entry is a couple of hours either side of HW. The HM can advise on best time dependent on your draft. I assume dogs are allowed but I don't know. The Colne YC showers are all that is available and can at best be described as basic.

Cantata

Visit site
With 1.2m draught I can get in HW+/-3, in fact earlier this year I was in at HW-3.5 one day.
It's a soulless place but as described above it ends up being much cheaper and obviously much more convenient than the pontoon if you need to be ashore a lot.
There are decent public loos in the complex but they close early in the evening. Showers etc are still the rather basic ones in Colne YC but as I mentioned in a recent thread there are moves afoot by the BHA to build a facilities block.

benw

Visit site
Arrived Brightlingsea yesterday and was offered a berth in the West dock free electricity and Wi-fi. We were berthed on the Nth Cardinal end of the east pontoon.Harbour master very helpful took me across to check out procedure for getting in with 38ftr. Decided the breeze was better on the pontoon given 30 degrees in forecast. However on another day would probably go for the option. Buying ferry tokens at £1 for 10 made sense for our stay. Very welcoming harbour staff. Music festival on this weekend - a bonus.

benw

Visit site
If you come into the marina no1 Harbour Square for drinks and eats. Dinner Thurs Fr and Sat evenings. Great location and alternative option to pubs and YC. Great view and watch harbour tooing and froing.
Great coffee!

Attachments

• 512B0177-8296-4444-B1D1-E2BCA79388A4.jpg
    512B0177-8296-4444-B1D1-E2BCA79388A4.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
If you come into the marina no1 Harbour Square for drinks and eats. Dinner Thurs Fr and Sat evenings. Great location and alternative option to pubs and YC. Great view and watch harbour tooing and froing.
Great coffee!

Looks a topsy turvy place to me!:encouragement:

Other threads that may be of interest