Teflon

Aja

Visit site
Vyv

I know silicon shouldn't be used. Is there a benefit from using Teflon? I take it that you use stuff for cars?

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I used a Teflon polish last year and I'll be using it again tomorrow. It brings the hull up beautifully and I also use it in the cockpit. No problems with it at all.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
No, I never polish the car, Jill does it!

For years I used car products, thinking them to be exactly the same at inflated prices. Now I don't think that at all, I'm convinced that the boat products are superior. Ridiculous prices, I must say, but I don't use a great deal of them.

The teflon is in the boat polish that we have used for the past few years. Don't remember the name, it may be USA manufactured but bought in Holland. Nothing special though.

For a time I thought that this polish might be responsible for the yellowing that appears each year at the forward water line. I tried another polish and that yellowed in the same way. I now think that any polish may yellow. This year's experiment is that I have polished everything with the teflon polish, except that I have left the bow corner unpolished. So far no yellow but it's early days.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
Interesting about the yellowing stains. I have experienced them for the last 5 years when I kept Rebel on the upper Clyde - where the water is a mucky brown colour. this year I moved the boat to Kames in the Kyles of Bute and Hey Presto! no more yellow stains.

Used the same 3M polish as last year - which is horrendously expensive - but may try a car polish next year.

As for the car - it goes through the car wash in Safeways ooooh at least twice a year and costs £2 a go - whether it needs it or not.

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

trays

Visit site
I have a tin of "Starbrite". 14 oz or 397gm Cost $A 27. I guess about seven quids in your language.

I had read somehwere that silicon gets into tiny bubble holes in the gelcoat, from whence it can never be removed. This then affects subsequent painting.

Because teflon is "slippery" I had wondered whether it would have a similar effect.

Has anyone tried paing ater usign teflon polish?

At this point I am inclined to take yoru advice and use it.

Lucky folks who have a SWMBO to polish for you!

By the way, does the boat need wax on top of the polish?

Thanks for the advice.

Ray

<hr width=100% size=1>Ray

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I'm just back from applying a Teflon polish to the hull. I've followed it with a Teflon sealer coat which contains uv filters. I've used International polish and sealer which isn't prohibitively expensive especially as the sealer will last at least four applications for a 36' boat. Oh and the hull looks amazing.

<hr width=100% size=1>