Teddington lock footbridge works

Time Out

Visit site
Interesting article

teddington.nub.news/news/local-news/partial-demolition-of-teddington-lock-footbridge-proposed-207325

Partial demolition of Teddington Lock footbridge proposed

Looks like it might be out of use for a while this winter if the proposed works go ahead.

Classic Hub story.

It was always going to be replaced and forms the alternative access route on the far side ( Ham)

The bridge remains in use however they close it at night, you can get over if you are polite and have a valid reason and not too drunk !

There is no formal closure however they do restrict access if they have to move plant etc

They are working 24/7.

They didn’t start until Sept either !

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yes I did wonder if the photo, which seems to show the iron bridge near the anglers pub, was the wrong place.

I seem to recall when we lived in Hampton Wick in the 80s and 90s that ramp was not there and the exit from the bridge was via the steps.

I think it was put in as part of a cycle track.

Didn't know the bridge was shut at night.

Time Out

Visit site
Exactly that. It’s the Ham side that needs redoing which is the ‘new’ part ! Just the cycle / access ramp. That said the whole bridge is in a shocking state.

They are refurbishing both bridges at same time.

It’s closed from 2100 ( maybe 2200) until 0500 I think but if you can persuade the security guard you need access then they will allow it.

I have a friend who lives in the lock house. It took quite some persuading the other night. However that probably had something to do with the length of time he spent in the Tide End 😂

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Cookham bridge closed to car traffic for a while as well.

Another very nice old iron bridge.

RBWM are saying 20 weeks !

Maybe the low cost of the original construction is showing itself up.

Apparently those round piles supporting the bridge are screwed into the bed of the River rather than driven in.

The works seem to be topsides not affecting navigation which is good.