Teak strips

Trevethan

Visit site
OK next bitr of woodworking involved replacing laminate for galley worktop.

SWMBO has decided she wants a teak decking effect.

I guess I will make a base of marine ply and then epoxy thin say 1 cm thick by 7-8 cm wide strips to it, leaving a small gap between for some caulking.

Now all this will be a royal pain

The area I want to do is about one metre by one metre.

So I am looking for someone who either can sell me about 13 1 metre strips of teak/iroko (best quote so far £120!

Or where I can get some nice teak fced ply (thinking teak/holly cabin sole material) that is about 1 metre square.

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicMallows

Visit site
Another source for Teak/Holly ply is 'Oddysee' in Warsash near Southampton. If you're lucky they may have a suitable offcut. They advertise from time-to-time in the mags, but if you have trouble I'll look up the phone number. They dont appear to have a website.

Vic

<hr width=100% size=1>

SL23

Visit site
How about useing teak faced ply and useing a router to cut 5mm wide x 5mm deep slots.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i had teak strips machined for me at a fraction of that price. not near you i'm afraid: it was Barnes Branch of high wycombe. suggest you shop around for a local hardwood supplier (non-marine).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
Robbins was very expensive - solid teak strips 1/2" X 3" X 4' (so lots of wastage) £2.45 a foot sawn £4 something planed so £150 odd for sawn timber, plus vat, plus postage £20 or so -- about £200 all in -- insane for a bit of wood

Have phoned around and found somewhere nearby that will do me 15 one metre strips 15 mm thick, 80 mm across, planed £70 the lot.

Best price other than that was £120 for planed.

When I lived in the U.S. wood was much much cheaper. I used to make knioves as a bbit of a hobby and used to get various exotic woods for the handles, usually in 3 foot lengths and they were a lot less than here.

I considered xcedar, but even that runs out at £8 a metre, although that's machioned with a tongue and groove.

<hr width=100% size=1>

gosh

Visit site
William Eden of New Milton (01425 632000) usually have teak faced ply in stock and I have found their prices acceptable but you need to buy the whole sheet

<hr width=100% size=1>

LeonF

Visit site
Have you tried Hawkehouse ? Just had a brochure and they do various different hardwood faced ply and small sheets as well.

<hr width=100% size=1>L.A.R.Ferguson

howardclark

Visit site
suggest you think hard before putting caulking into the gap. My current boat had this throughout the internal floors, and although the caulking starts off white it will discolour badly. If your teak is quite thin you will not be able to keep sanding to renew the white surface.
I routed out all the mastic and replaced with sycamore (couldn't get holly), which looks good and should be a longer lasting finish.
If I were trying to do what you are doing I would buy a panel of the premade teak/holly which is available from both Robbins and Howells (and others i'm sure). with a suitable edge trim and poyurethane varnish it will look great for very little effort.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I got some from Bamford's, Vespasian Rd, down here in Southampton (02380 223937). They were sold as a bunch of offcuts and hence cheap, but they do a lot of hardwoods, both boaty and for housebuilding, might be worth popping in if you're down this way.

<hr width=100% size=1>