Teak decking

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Does anybody know a contractor who provides a teak decking service? We have a boat where the previous owner has used Sadolin on the cockpit teak and turned it in to the most slippery surface you can imagine and I want to replace the whole lot with newly laid teak planking.

(To avoid confusion I should say that we have a grp boat and have teak planking laid on top of grp)

TIA

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Rob,

Mind if I hitch hike a ride on your thread? I too am looking to replace my cockpit teak. The stuff there at present has 'seen service' as they say and really needs replacing as part of a big refit. It has been fitted in pre-made panels that are just bedded and screwed into place - a nice simple solution in my view.

I've got the names of a couple of suppliers of these panels, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has had these made, with regard to service, quality etc.

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
K.J Howells are superb. I went into their showroom at Cobbs Quay the other day. Sorry I don't have any contact details but google should come up with something.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=green>Toscana is for sale!</font color=green>

Robih

Visit site
Moose - thanks for the tip. The website is:

http://www.k.j.howells.dial.pipex.com/welcome.htm

It looks like they do pre-made (to template) teak sheets. Reading the blurb has made me suspicious that getting the old teak off could be a real problem - looks like the stuff is laid in a bonding material. I can see that job degenerating in to a real dogs breakfast!

I was really hoping for a contractor who would do the whole job in probably 1/5th of the time that it would take me.............

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
I have a friend who used to work for Huntons who may be able to help, I am not sure how busy he is at the mement but if you like I will have a word and see if he can help. He is doing mine for me at the end of the summer for a bargain price but that cos I am providing him with a weeks labour on another job!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
befiore going for such an expensive solution, it is worth trying a couiple of more cost effective, but heroic solutions, after all if they dont work, you are no worse off. My first call would be to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paint-stripper.co.uk/removall_paint_stripper_marine.htm>removall</A> I have used their product on antifouling removal and it is by far the easiest and least intrusive of the paint removers, and it is neutralised by application of water. It certainly has won my vote!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Moose, thanks for the info. Howells are not in my area, but if the finished product is good and a fair price, I don't have a problem with collecting the stuff as I'm down that way from time to time.

Rob, the people I tried first were Onward Trading Company, Shamrock Quay, William Street, Southampton. Tel: 023 8063 7810 and www.onwardtrading.com.

They quoted me a per square metre price over the phone for 12mm thick decking in panels with the rebates Sikaflex filled. For the life of me I can't find the bit of paper I scribbled it on, but remember a total of around £425.00 for the five panels needed for my cockpit. This was about ten months ago so probably wouldn't be valid now anyway.

The second outfit were a local boatyard who wanted to fit the individual strips in-situ effectively laying a 'proper' teak deck, something I can easily do myself. I wasn't keen on all the fixings needed for this method, hence my seeking alternatives.

I can produce full size templates, and what I want is someone to make the panels complete, so that all I have to do bed and screw them down in exactly the same way as the existing.

My teak is really beyond recovery after twenty years of big feet tramping all over it and despite the care lavished on it, so replacement is the only viable option. I don't want to spoil the refit for several hundred pounds worth of tar!!

Hope this helps, (Oh, and thanks for the Howells website details - much appreciated!)

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

silverseal

Visit site
I would take a small area and try treating with a solvent to remove the Sadolin, and then thoroughly sand it. Either it works or it does not. If it works you will save a lot of time and money, compared with stripping off and fitting new. A mains operated belt sander from a hire shop will only cost £30 squids or so and would do the whole desk in a couple of days. Give the test patch a whirl

<hr width=100% size=1>

adee

Visit site
you could try a teak substitute by tek dec does not need any maitenace

good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Rob

I had an anchor locker modified, including new teak planking. The guy who did it is based in Emsworth and has done quite a few teak decks, including one for my neighbour who recommends him highly on price and finish. Try him, Mark Savage on 07860 715319.

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robih

Visit site
Talbot,

Many thanks for this suggestion. We've spent the weekend with "Removall" paint stripping products and it has made an excellent job of taking the Sadolin and other stuff off the teak. It has come up like new, a real win as I thought that we were in for an £xk bill to sort this problem out. Thanks very much!

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>