Teak chocks ? or......

adrianbarker

Visit site
Can anyone advise where I can obtain some teak, or similar, to make some new dinghy chocks ?

The teak will sit inside a stainless "U" that runs fore and aft on the bathing platform.

-and is this an easy job ? - Can I get a plan of the underwater section of the dinghy to ensure I get the correct shape on both ?

OR, is a stainless fabrication with "rubber" top bits any better ?

Any other advise appreciated.! - relevant to this though please !

So many questions, so little time !!

Thanks

You didn't have that one the last time we saw you !

jfm

Visit site
Any wood merchant (Travis Perkins etc) should have teak or iroko. To get the section of the RIB, just make cardboard template. If you have a choice about where to position the stainless steel U channel, try to avoid the chock that is toward the front of the RIB being too far forward. The further forward (relative to the RIB) it is, the deeper the RIB's Vee, and you could end up buying a piece of 2" x 8" section teak, just so it is high enough to cut the Vee. This will be expensive, and heavy.

When ours were made, we got them quite wide, about 2 foot across the beam of the dinghy. The dinghy therefore sits very firmly. But I notice some of the flip out ones (eg Sealine's) are tiny, about 12 inches across the beam of the RIB, so the RIB is a bit wobbly when placed on the chocks, and relies heavily on the tie down straps. Smaller/lighter/cheaper I suppose. Up to you.

Finally, will you be craning or dragging the RIB on? If dragging (ie, no crane) you might want to make the chocks long enough so they stick out beyond aft edge of swim platform, so you drag the RIB along the chocks and dont bust the aft edge of your platform. If craning/passerelling the RIB on, then the chocks shouldn't stick out else they'll get in the way.

Apols to all that this post is a bit PBOish. Will try to refrain in future :)

BarryH

Visit site
I'll let you off. At least its not as bad as melamine mugs!!!!!

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!