Targa 43 help

simonjames

Visit site
Hi Everyone
Desperately needing help here, my parents new to them 2004 targa 43 has just been launched in Spain, and apparently has a few faults that need looking at. The only problem is that I'm in England they're in Spain and neither of us seem to be able to find essential systems on the boat.
The main problem is that the fridge in the galley only seems to work intermittantly. The other problem being that the air con pump doesn't seem to be working.
Does anyone have any ideas re the fridge, as the air con I think is either air locked or requiring an impeller in it.
Also does anybody know where the fuse box is on these boats.
thanks in anticipation
Simon

Portofino

Visit site
Fridge - the compressor will have a low voltage cut off .So the door light may be on. But if the battery V has dropped below say 12-6 V ( guess ) then The compressor cuts out to prevent killing the Batteries .
Either batts are old they do not hold there charge Or the bat charger is faulty -not giving enough Amps out .
Ask them to start the engines ( turn shore power off 1st ) -if the fridges come on shortly then .,it's not the fridges It's one of the above .Google flat 12v batteries .
Aircon pump -is it switched on ,does it vibrate ? Is the strainer clean ,is the sea cock open ? -bit difficult to long range diagnosis ?

simonjames

Visit site
Hi yes the boat is new to us. The boat has had a full survey in UK and various issues rectified, then transported to the marina in Spain. The marina is Port Ginesta just south of Barcelona if anyone knows any decent electricians etc I would be really grateful.

simonjames

Visit site
Apparently the air con pump is not vibrating , the seacock is open, all I was thinking was that maybe it maybe air locked as it's been out of the water and maybe tripped on the breaker. The problem is locating the breaker, as this boat was in the med for 8 years and then came back to England for a couple and has now gone back out, the previous owner only ever used the air con for heating therefore, seems a bit lost on where things are. And as you say really difficult diagnosing over the phone but will get them to try firing the engines and trying the fridge tomorrow at least that's one thing cleared hopefully.

Portofino

Visit site
Air con pumps self prime ,they should be around or just a few inches above the waterline - to facilitate priming .
It's prob not turned on .
It will have a breaker on the AC panel .
Basic stuff -----
Presumably they know if the shore power is getting through to the boat , 220 v guage and or light is on ?
Have they twisted the shore power plugs -at both ends ?

simonjames

Visit site
The problem we have here is that their knowledge of this boat is very limited, I own a boat ( yacht) with air con and know my own systems inside out. As for the breaker on the panel they've had every single thing turned on including all the auxiliary breakers. I've tried explaining that this is probably the reason the breaker for the hot water tripped( overloading) they've had the aircon units running briefly so I would assume the sho re power is on, they run briefly and then cut out and flash up a fault code which when looked up means no water. However, trying to get my parents to do anything I suggest is difficult as I'm only 47 and what would I know! They can't even find the switch on the panel for the battery charger, but I know there's one there as I've seen it with my own eyes. The thing I don't want is for them to get an engineer in who just rips them off because of their lack of knowledge. Hence the questions on here, it's a bit of a shame that I couldn't go out to join them when the boat was launched, but due to work commitments that couldn't happen. I'm off there on Sunday so hopefully it will be sorted by then. Re the shore power this boat only has 1 lead to run all the systems whereas mine has 2 a dedicated one for the aircon and one for the rest ,is this normal practice on Fairlines? The boat was commissioned by Peters when new and the aircon was fitted at the time so hopefully installation shouldn't be a problem. Re the batteries they were load tested a month ago on the survey and passed that.

Gemini

Visit site
Which air on system is fitted and the fault code, most units have single phase pumps which have centrefugal switch on them, they have a habit of sticking when not used , if power 220-230v is available and pump is switch on try tapping the end of the pump case may move the switch ,and kick it into life, alternative take the boat out for a good run buouncing around may do the as me thing and plug it back Into shore power on back and try it,

If the boat has a generator they can try it whilst out .

simonjames

Visit site
It's a marine air system with a passport compact keypad one fault is showing code HPF and the other one in the fore cabin was t5t. The micro switch sounds like a good place to start once they've figured out there's power to it, as I'm pretty sure it's not been used for some time.

admillington

Visit site
As regards the AirCon, the pumps on my Fairline always require bleeding when the boat has been out of the water and do not self prime. On the brass impeller housing there is a wing nut that I loosen to drain out the air. I do this with the pump running and then the water starts to flow. Would be worth seeing where the water exhausts to check the flow.

-Andrew

Hi Everyone
Desperately needing help here, my parents new to them 2004 targa 43 has just been launched in Spain, and apparently has a few faults that need looking at. The only problem is that I'm in England they're in Spain and neither of us seem to be able to find essential systems on the boat.
The main problem is that the fridge in the galley only seems to work intermittantly. The other problem being that the air con pump doesn't seem to be working.
Does anyone have any ideas re the fridge, as the air con I think is either air locked or requiring an impeller in it.
Also does anybody know where the fuse box is on these boats.
thanks in anticipation
Simon

simonjames

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help most of the issues cleared up today and working. the air con was down to the pump, now repaired and all working. The hot water also required some wiring attention also done.
The last remaining issue is that neither of the fridges work, the galley fridge lights up but doesn't cool and the cockpit fridge also doesn't cool. When they were first turned on the compressor ran briefly before stopping. According to the panel they're drawing 10 amps with nothing else on. The batteries can be ruled out as they're at about 12.9-13.2 volts, also tried running the engines with shore power disconnected and still no joy. Does anybody have any ideas at all?
Thanks

Portofino

Visit site
We are getting there ,
This is from Waeco Q+ A ,s
Ck the wiring for corroded joints = excessive voltage drop ?
Also the regulators pack up -easily replaced -10.2 V seems to be cut off. But that's at the fridge under load with a functional regulator -most marine electrical shops stock them .

" My Fridge attempts to start but will not run"

With almost 100% certainty we can say this is caused by your wiring and not the fridge. The automatic low voltage cut out circuit needs to measure the voltage under the load of the motor. It does this every 30 seconds to see if the voltage has increased to a safe level. This test only takes one second and if the voltage is too low it stops immediately. This explains the one second burst from your motor, it is simply testing your wiring.

Voltage measurements at the battery are meaningless. The refrigerator can only read what it is actually receiving after deducting the losses in your wiring socket and plugs. Also, the reading is meaningless unless the fridge is running because voltage drop cannot be see without a load. Voltage drop in the wiring causes 90% of our service calls .

lionelz

Visit site
. However, trying to get my parents to do anything I suggest is difficult as I'm only 47 and what would I know! They can't even find the switch on the panel for the battery charger, but I know there's one there as I've seen it with my own eyes. .

That's brilliant :) You will always be their little baby. I wonder if you will be the same with yours when they are that age (if you have any). I'm pretty sure I will be :)
Hope its all sorted for them now

simonjames

Visit site
Once again thanks to everyone all issues sorted thanks to your advice. As for my kids they're 20 and 17 so obviously they think they know everything there is to know, leaving my advice redundant��
But on a serious note once again a big thank you to everyone who contributed, couldn't have done it without you.
Simon