Targa 40 Batteries

jcwads

Visit site
T40 owners, what batteries do you have onboard?

Mine are pretty much gone now, so replacing them. I have 3 x Excide EF1853. Just wondering if there are recommendations out there of what to get?

Cheers

jrudge

Visit site
You will want the biggest that fit in the slot.

I don't know if you have a generator - but I did and wow what a job to get them out ( I ended up using the stainless steel flag pole as a winch point).

Opinions vary. I am sceptical that anyone ever pays out on a battery warranty, and also aware that they are always 2-3 full discharges away from being worthless so I buy the cheapest vaguely branded batteries and accept that in however many years I will have to replace them.

I have had batteries fail after 18 months on a brand new boat ( warranty). They were looked after etc. I reckon on 3-4 years on a set. Others will have differing views and experiences.

jcwads

Visit site
You will want the biggest that fit in the slot.

I don't know if you have a generator - but I did and wow what a job to get them out ( I ended up using the stainless steel flag pole as a winch point).

Opinions vary. I am sceptical that anyone ever pays out on a battery warranty, and also aware that they are always 2-3 full discharges away from being worthless so I buy the cheapest vaguely branded batteries and accept that in however many years I will have to replace them.

I have had batteries fail after 18 months on a brand new boat ( warranty). They were looked after etc. I reckon on 3-4 years on a set. Others will have differing views and experiences.

The last owner fitted the current ones. Feb 2016, so they have only lasted 3 years. But I don't know how the boat was looked after back then.

Size of mine are -

Length 513 mm
Width 223 mm
Height 223 mm

There are 3 in the bank. I assume other T40 owners have the same size as me???

bluetooth

Visit site
I started afresh with new battery bank 2 years ago for same reason - used same make; basic type replacements; nothing special.
I also added a forth so now have single battery to crank SB engine and 3 for domestic/Port crank

Been brilliant since and never been low on charge with all electrics and fridges on - previously and with other boats the fridges tended to drain the batteries down and then being intelligent the fridge stopped cooling itself !!

I also changed to large charger SBC700NRG from Quick though at the time didn't realise T40s were wired not to charge the SB crank battery. Is on my list to refit the small old charger to this one for charging if needed.

rosssavage

Visit site
These guys: https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/marine-batteries-18.html

Browse through leisure batteries too, not all types are listed under marine.

Got mine from them 7-8 years ago, branded Alpha but I think that’s now changed to Hankook. Still going strong, but probably luck and good care as much as brand quality tbh.

They are also up for a deal - I replaced all six on my boat and my neighbour did all eight on his (!!! Big Broom...) and they did us a 10% discount and free delivery - literally a whole pallet on a truck!

See if anyone wants to go in with you and have a chat with the vendor.

Sneds

Visit site
Plus one for battery megastore and Bristol Batteries, depending on your location of course
I took my old ones to a local cable and battery recycler and walked away with£60!
They weighed 32 kg each

[2068]

Visit site
Something like this would do the job.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/marine-batteries/enduroline/exv220/

exv220-enduroline.jpg

Last edited: