Tank?

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Can anyone tell me if this Vetus tank is suitable for diesel, or is it only a water tank?
If I can, I want to use it as a diesel fuel tank, but will need to blank off a hole at the side, What is the best sealer to use on the inside of a brass blanking plug, or would a neoprene rubber ring be best?
Will I be able to fit a fuel sender unit where the white inspection hatch is?
The tank is aprox 8-10 gal.
Thanks Guys.
IMG_0576.jpg

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Hi Ash, I cant say for sure, all I can tell you is that it is some type of plastic or nylon type of material, and feels like a slippery kind of material, definatly not ABS.
I do think it was a water tank, as it had a big inlet/outlet on the side like the bigger one on the top, see pic.
What material are the fittings on your tank made of? ie, brass, s/s, plastic, etc. and do you know what sealing medium is used?
Thanks, Eamonn.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Vetus Diesel tanks are normally made from black plastic, Petrol from red and water white or green, But the materal is usally the same.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Vetus claims their green water tanks are made from a "taste-free and odourless synthetic material of food quality", whereas their diesel tanks are made from Linear Polythene. Vetus states that the inspection lid kit is "suitable for water tanks, not suitable for fuel tanks". The fuel tanks have an aluminium plate bolted on the top through which all connections are made - filler, return pipe and sender unit.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
According to my cataloue, white is fuel, green is drinking water, black is waste water [contrary to Rogershaw]. The tank is a water tank and the inspection port [according to the same catalogue] is only suitable for water tanks and not fuel tanks. The Vetus fuel connections appear to be of a smaller diameter. I suggest you talk to Vetus about the situation.

Personally I would use it for water only and purchase the proper tank with all the right fittings for fuel. The advantage of the tanks is that you can see the fuel level and thus not need a sensor unit.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will consider all the options at the moment.
And thanks jolly, you are very correct in what you say regarding colours and uses.
And finnaly Thanks Oldsaltoz, and hope you are keeping well.
I am still plodding on.