T40 Drive broke

Freebee

Visit site
If you hit something with that sort for force I would think there would be witness marks on the heel of the lower drive or prop. My guess is something has broken inside and seized.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Usually when you hit an underwater object the shear tube splined sleeve shears off to protect the drive , it sounds to me like the unit has lost its oil prior to the failure .

oldgit

Visit site
Regard doing only 5 knots. Failure may well have been initiated by either an earlier event shocking the drive system or simply a worn U/J finally deciding to give up the ghost. My gearbox drive shaft failed when engaging forward gear under very gentle circumstances indeed. Gearbox perfectly OK during earlier high speed run and only failed during attempt to anchor. Suspect that will easy cheap (ish)fix as outdrive top ends seem to be easy to get S/Hand. And if boat was due for rubberware change and service anyway, will not add much time or expense to regular service. ? Would get everything moving to get it fixed , good luck with insurance claim, tho .

lionelz

Visit site
Gutted for you let's hope your insurance will pay. I done this the first year I owned my boat. Luckily my insurance paid up. In fairness I had just hit the submarine barrier of southsea. It was navigator error I just happened to be the the helmsman and navigator :nonchalance:

LUNA

Visit site
Yeah well i managed to sort thruster out today .. was the shear pin , had a spare on casing . im surprised it broke , would of been v unlucky to have got something in there just at the time i needed it the most running on one engine.. maybe was getting weak over time and just i used bit more than usual it broke :encouragement:

weather not great today so will finish removing rest of drive tomorrow , got another Drive coming on pallet tues / wed so making some progress

JLm3nfb.jpg

lux4Nbv.jpg

tzEus7Z.jpg

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Yeah well i managed to sort thruster out today .. was the shear pin , had a spare on casing . im surprised it broke , would of been v unlucky to have got something in there just at the time i needed it the most running on one engine.. maybe was getting weak over time and just i used bit more than usual it broke :encouragement:

weather not great today so will finish removing rest of drive tomorrow , got another Drive coming on pallet tues / wed so making some progress

View attachment 73472

View attachment 73473

View attachment 73474

Good going Luna. Where did you get the new drive from?

jcwads

Visit site
Nice progress so far!!! You haven't hung around.. Much more practical than I am being able to get the drive off and service the thruster. Good work :encouragement:

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
So sorry to hear your bad news Luna, must be gutting.

My brother in law had an identical failure with his T40 5 years ago... so much so your picture of the cracked drive was virtually identical to the one he took when his was lifted! Must be a weak spot or, as Volvopaul has commented, a chain of events that lead to the failure.

I hope you're afloat and enjoying boating again very soon.

LUNA

Visit site
well i took rest of drive off today .. it literally just fell in 2 bits .. :ambivalence:

IMG_8279.JPG

IMG_8276.JPG

IMG_8274.JPG

lost a few teeth on the gears ..

Still not 100% why it decided to give up all of sudden .. :confused:

Last edited:

LUNA

Visit site
So sorry to hear your bad news Luna, must be gutting.

My brother in law had an identical failure with his T40 5 years ago... so much so your picture of the cracked drive was virtually identical to the one he took when his was lifted! Must be a weak spot or, as Volvopaul has commented, a chain of events that lead to the failure.

I hope you're afloat and enjoying boating again very soon.

Hmm thats interesting, yeah wonder if it is a weak spot.. cheers

LUNA

Visit site
I had exactly the same happen to my T39 - way back in 2004. It was the final straw for me - I fixed it, sold it and then bought a sailing boat. Been a yottie ever since - so be careful! Same might happen to you!

:) haha .. is tempting at times like this ... but do love my power boats

Portofino

Visit site
I would have posted these pics yesterday but the ancient platform here would not let me .
Today it does .
Anyhow hence my confidence in post #8 re dropped tooth on a gear .

View attachment 73488

View attachment 73487

In the interest of progressing this can we delve into the service history ?

Reason I enquire ( completely blind of your particular situation re history ) I had DPG,s and the VP approved techs in the yard did the work in the 9 years of ownership .The boat was a 8000/9000 kg Portofino 35 .
Every two years the drives where removed .Every year the drive oil replaced .
At the removal service ,as well as the obvious new belows they were totally stripped down ,all the gears out ,stuff micrometer measured and if out of spec replaced .Reassembly , new seals and pressure tested .
Just about each time ( drive off service ) the techs would find something else when stripped down to replace adding €€ to the bill .
They performed uneventfully in my ownership .
Now one year a T 34 and mine were hauled together and blocked off next to each other .
Monday Am a white van man came and literally wrestled off the old belows fitted none OEM ( no blue boxes ) and waltzed off in less than 2 hrs .
Meanwhile Mon pm they removed mine .Tue disassembled,just left all the gears out on the bench in the engine shed .Wed reassembled and tested .Thur refitted to boat - that was my “ belows “ service .

You have been either incredibly unlucky or the service history hasn’t,t been done to spec .

Last edited:

LUNA

Visit site
I would have posted these pics yesterday but the ancient platform here would not let me .
Today it does .
Anyhow hence my confidence in post #8 re dropped tooth on a gear .

View attachment 73488

View attachment 73487

In the interest of progressing this can we delve into the service history ?

Reason I enquire ( completely blind of your particular situation re history ) I had DPG,s and the VP approved techs in the yard did the work in the 9 years of ownership .The boat was a 8000/9000 kg Portofino 35 .
Every two years the drives where removed .Every year the drive oil replaced .
At the removal service ,as well as the obvious new belows they were totally stripped down ,all the gears out ,stuff micrometer measured and if out of spec replaced .Reassembly , new seals and pressure tested .
Just about each time ( drive off service ) the techs would find something else when stripped down to replace adding €€ to the bill .
They performed uneventfully in my ownership .
Now one year a T 34 and mine were hauled together and blocked off next to each other .
Monday Am a white van man came and literally wrestled off the old belows fitted none OEM ( no blue boxes ) and waltzed off in less than 2 hrs .
Meanwhile Mon pm they removed mine .Tue disassembled,just left all the gears out on the bench in the engine shed .Wed reassembled and tested .Thur refitted to boat - that was my “ belows “ service .

You have been either incredibly unlucky or the service history hasn’t,t been done to spec .

Yeah you was right .. tooth totally gone.. boat came with fair amount of service history .. we only brought last november and was fully serviced just before we had it delivered..everything .engines .bellows.. both oils, filters,anodes etc etc
I think why its out of water at min i will drain the oil on other drive and replace now too..