Syracuse

Jeva

Visit site
A while back there was a post about fines being imposed on (foreign flagged) boats anchored in the bay. Does anybody have any up to date info on the situation?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It wasn't because they anchored in the bay , it was because they didn't call up the CG before anchoring .
I have spoken to a few since then , all have try to call the CG Or HM but without any respond only one got an answer , the general anpion seen to be to call up as you enter the bay and before anchoring , I suggest you video the call , (iPad , iPhone ) so if you don't get a reply and you are boarded later you can prove you try to call .

macd

Visit site
It wasn't because they anchored in the bay , it was because they didn't call up the CG before anchoring .
I have spoken to a few since then , all have try to call the CG Or HM but without any respond only one got an answer , the general anpion seen to be to call up as you enter the bay and before anchoring , I suggest you video the call , (iPad , iPhone ) so if you don't get a reply and you are boarded later you can prove you try to call .

Jeva: the above is effectively a summary of information on the CA website. It pretty much sums up the situation. The harbour office doesn't seem to be terribly good at answering calls, or at least calls in English.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have to say Mac we anchored there many times over the years and we was there just before this all kicked off , we never called up non did many of the other boats there , many from Ragusa , has always the CG just turn up the first morning and ask us where we came from and how many on board , after that they would just wave when they went past .
we have never been ask to show any document other then time when we use to be on the wall where a police car use to come alone and then they did need to see papers .
How much truth there is in the rumours that 15 boats was fine on the same day is any body guess , I think there would had been more said rather then the report we read here .
next time we pass through just to be on the safe side we will try and Radio up and make a recording of it , althought an telephone number has been give to call if you don't get a reply , personally I have no intention of make any telephone call .
People have to remember some time thing get written and the full facts are not given .
You just only need to take the big stink made about the so call guy who got fined for not reporting in has he entered the Messina straights , and the advise given then about everyone having to VHF , and then it came to light , the reason he got fine was not because entered the straight without call but because he was tacking back and fro across the straight . And so he should had been fined .
I think there a lot more to Siracusa then meets the eye which we not been told off .

Last edited: