SYH to Holland

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
My first trip was Walton to Flushing, in an 18 footer, in 1976. I’ll stick with my suggestion that it’s best to arrive around sunrise, so you can sort the lights out when it’s still dark. The trip up the canal to Veere is absolutely worth doing and you are following in the track of Arthur Ransome.

Marmalade

Visit site
I have been told that it is preferable to to head straight to Breskens because the trip north from Ostend can be bumpy beacause of the sand backs. True or false?

It can get lumpy around Zeebrugge - obviously depends on Wind / Tide. Nothing too hairy unless you're bashing into a Northerly. It all depends on whether the longer haul direct to Breskens bothers you. If not - then going straight there saves you a day.

XTE

Visit site
My first trip was Walton to Flushing, in an 18 footer, in 1976. I’ll stick with my suggestion that it’s best to arrive around sunrise, so you can sort the lights out when it’s still dark. The trip up the canal to Veere is absolutely worth doing and you are following in the track of Arthur Ransome.

I agree about the comfort of seeing the lights at night, which makes navigation easier in some respects and I have sailed many nights, especially on the ARC some years ago, but I will have my wife with me and she is a very nervous sailor, so I am keen to make it as comfortable and short as possible. Night sailing may be good for navigation, but not great if something goes wrong and you are tired. The chartplotter and AIS will look after our navigation.

sailorman

Visit site
I agree about the comfort of seeing the lights at night, which makes navigation easier in some respects and I have sailed many nights, especially on the ARC some years ago, but I will have my wife with me and she is a very nervous sailor, so I am keen to make it as comfortable and short as possible. Night sailing may be good for navigation, but not great if something goes wrong and you are tired. The chartplotter and AIS will look after our navigation.

Sounds like you have it covered then , have a good & safe trip

johnalison

Visit site
Contrary to what the 'experts' say, the whole area north of the Belgian Coast does tend to be bumpy for those that venture out in anything but a flat calm. This is often noticeable on the way home, when it can be necessary to soldier on for an hour or two before getting near the shipping-lanes, when it all becomes much smoother. Nothing to be afraid of, but just something else to take into account.

Here is the West Hinder bank, in just such a flat calm.
P1020921%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

westhinder

Visit site
I have been told that it is preferable to to head straight to Breskens because the trip north from Ostend can be bumpy beacause of the sand backs. True or false?
It is not the sandbanks, as you will be inshore of them, but you will find that the sea off Zeebrugge is always more agitated. The harbour sticks out a fair distance from the coastline and the current pushes a great volume of water around it, which makes for a bumpier ride than between Oostende and Zeebrugge.
With a SW to NW wind the waves will be pushed into the mouth of the Westerschelde and will build up as you approach Breskens or Vlissingen. A lively Westerly over the ebb out of the Westerschelde makes for tall following waves.
But do not let that put you off, it is simply a matter of judging the weather correctly.
Much of the advice given above is sound: As it is your first time, go to Breskens, which has an easy entrance, no lock and a big visitor’s pontoon. If you want to shorten the trip, or you would arrive against the ebb, stop at Zeebrugge or Oostende, two easy entrances at all states of the tide. It allows you to rest and take the tide with you to the Schelde.
The Kanaal van Walcheren from Vlissingen via Middelburg to Veere is perfect for a first visit, going up the Westerschelde to Hansweert or further to Antwerpen is surprisingly beautiful. Around the Oosterschelde you will be spoilt for choice, but Zierikzee and Goes are not to be missed. Back home via the Roompotsluis.
Enjoy!

sailorman

Visit site
I have been into Cadzand and I would probably caution against a low tide entry if you're going there for the first time. We found it a good place to stay overnight.
At the risk of being boring - your best first stop is Ostend. Shorter trip with an all tide entrance - pretty much doesn't matter what time you leave or arrive - just ensure you aim your course up tide of the harbour so that the tide carries you towards it - get on the wrong side and you'll have a long slow plug against it to get up (or down) the coast.
If you are intent on Holland first stop - I agree with Breskens as a first stop. Easy entrance and no locks; so at the end of a long journey when you're tired it won't be a trying experience. Leaving time must depend on your boat speed (and here's the kicker) unlike Ostend - it really does matter what time you arrive - as trying to gain Breskens with the Westerschelde in full ebb is no laughing matter. You need to arrive with some flood left - you're not going far down so even an hour left will do.
One final thought - If it's a first time trip - what's your tolerance? Ostend is 74 miles from Languard point. Breskens 94. For most boats that's at least 3 hours extra - more if you make less than 6 kts. If you have a crew that can take watches that may be OK - we sail as a couple and 11 hours into Ostend is plenty for us - we can do it in daylight in the summer. We have done Breskens to Harwich (ie the return trip) but it's a long old slog in anything but the fairest of winds.
The main thing t affect distance i sail s compass courae from lsh not using waypoints that will add to the distanceby fighting the tide. I leave lsh steer 125to potter about to 130depending tidal oset req farriving oostende oostede uptide and up wind. tie deg

RivalRedwing

Visit site
as I recall there is a new guide coming out for N. Sea crossings and the Netherlands penned by Kieran Flatt, does anyone know more or am I going mad?

update....no I'm not
From Oct 2020:
Kieran Flatt is a freelance writer, senior partner of Mainstay Media and former YM editor.
He sails a 28ft Twister, and has cruised extensively in Biscay, the Irish Sea, English Channel, North Sea and Baltic.
He is writing a new pilot book for The Netherlands and Belgium, to be published by the Royal Cruising Club Pilotage Foundation and Imray.

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
as I recall there is a new guide coming out for N. Sea crossings and the Netherlands penned by Kieran Flatt, does anyone know more or am I going mad?

update....no I'm not
From Oct 2020:
Kieran Flatt is a freelance writer, senior partner of Mainstay Media and former YM editor.
He sails a 28ft Twister, and has cruised extensively in Biscay, the Irish Sea, English Channel, North Sea and Baltic.
He is writing a new pilot book for The Netherlands and Belgium, to be published by the Royal Cruising Club Pilotage Foundation and Imray.
I usr sdmiralty chsrt1406 for sll southern north aea crossings

Cantata

Visit site

update....no I'm not
From Oct 2020:
Kieran is doing a pilot book for 'over there'. For 'getting over there' the old North Sea Passage Pilot (Brian Navin, now deceased) is to be replaced for Imrays with a brand new version by Garth Cooper.

michael_w

Visit site
Please not full of pretty but useless aerial photos. I'm navigating at sea level not 500m up! Another favorite is the view of the harbour looking out to sea, they're only good for advance reconnaissance by hire car ...

Other threads that may be of interest