swinging mooring?

Niander

Visit site
i think this is the right term
can one place your own mooring in a sheltered bay[for instance tobermory]
ie an old clean engineblock ,strong chain and buoy
are you allowed or not and would you have to pay the council?
thx alot

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
Not in Tobermory you cant... The harbour committe rule what can be placed where.
You also have to register the mooring with the Crown estates commission.
For more mooring info do Google a search on WHAM. They will be a great help on the west Coast

Regards

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

wooslehunter

Visit site
For all of this stuff you have to ask permission of the owner. Now comes the difficult bit - who'se the owner? I can't comment in your area but I once went through this in Langstone Harbour to hold a firework display for a mates 40th.

As far as I can remember, the land up down to the high water mark had one owner, from the high to low had another and below the low, another.

I believe that if it's not owned by anyone else, then everything inside the ?? mile limit is owned by the crown. Hence to avoid any problems or ground rents get outside that and you'll by fine - bit of a row back though!!!!

Seriously - find the owner and you'll have no problems. You may not be able to drop a mooring but you'll be safe. Go it alone and just do it and you will have a problem at some stage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aja

Visit site
In Scotland, the owner of the sea bed below LWM is the Crown.

They regulate use through local authorities for planning permission (eg Fish farms and moorings)

In Tobermory this is done through the Harbour Committee. You would have to negotiate with them for a suitable space to lay a swinging mooring as in a busy anchorage you just cant lay a mooring willy-nilly, there are designated mooring and anchorage areas.

You then have to apply to Crown Estates Commission, who will then collect an annual rent.

There is an association that is dealing with the problem on the West Coast of Scotland -
www.whamassoc.org.uk

They should be the first point of contact.

Ownership of land above or at the high water mark does not come into it. And someone definately owns it!

Regards

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>