Swindlerries - Guernsey & St Malo

Stemar

Visit site
It has been decreed by the Admiral that we shall visit her parents in Dinan this bank holiday weekend. The least outrageously priced option involves a 3 hour stopover at Guernsey.

It happens that my flares have expired, so I need new ones and I've heard that they're a fair bit cheaper in France, so there may be some benefit to be gained from being on a Ferry instead of Jissel. Can anyone recommend a chandlery in St Malo? (approximate address please - I don't know the town) Would I be better off getting my flares in Guernsey, & if so, where?

Robin

Visit site
Forget Guernsey, their VAT free prices won't even match mainland discounted ones INC VAT.

Accastillage Diffusion are in St Malo 1 Bls Avenue Louis Martin (Chantier Naval de la Ville Audrian)
Tel 02.99.56.48.06

I paid 89 Euros from Accastillage Diffusion in Cherbourg recently, 3 paras, 3 reds, 2 cannister floating smokes in a red carry box, expiry Nov 2010. Solas approved and instructions in English as well as French.
www.ville-audrain.com

Genie

Visit site
I'm afraid Robin's right - my coastal pack here cost about £80 and all the chandleries are about the same. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Reason is that the cost of sending flares over from the UK is horrendous, and is not the chandleries ripping anyone off.
However, there are some decent chandleries here - I would recommend Seaquest Marine in the North Plantation (very friendly bunch with soem decent deals) as well as Boatworks+. Both are within walking distance of the marina (Seaquest about 200m and Boatworks even less- you might want to fill up at their fuel pontoon) and don't forget there are some fantastic restaurants open for lunch which are great value. St Peter Port is very picturesque and easy to explore in a couple of hours. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I do hope you call by - if you haven't been to St Peter Port before, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and would make a nice refuelling point before/from France.
The flares though, I would certainly get from St Malo, as bound to be cheaper.
Have a great journey!
PS - I have nothing to do with the aforesaid chandleries, just a customer.