Sweden yachts

Copious

Visit site
I have been looking at Sweden Yachts with a view to buy. Does any one have any useful advice to offer on this type as a liveaboard,other than finding a friendly bank manager.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
I sailed on a 38 for over 6 months, and then was there for some major overhauls...
Nice boat sails very well. On the boat I was on there was quite a bit of corrosion damage to the base plate for the mast, and we also suffered loss of steering once from pulley failures on steering cables, I opted for solid bar links on my boat.
She had also suffered from some keel strenghtening work in the bilges after a grounding. Its a big heavy keel so I'd look closely at the fittings on an old well used boat.
No swim platform, which is nice in warm places. Aft cabins a bit stuffy not enough ventillation, great chart table...wacth out for leaks on the toe rail behind electronics if shes had a bump...Very quick though, we crossed the pond in a fraction under 15 days! but that was with a crew of 7.
I felt our Bav390 was a better dseign to live on for the same size and half the cost.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mkay47

Visit site
We have a Sweden 45, one year old. Solidly constructed, swifter than equivalent Rassy, Malo or Najad and with good, live-aboard potential (which we are not yet realising). Would think that you may need to re-arrange the accommodation a little. 6 berths may not be what you're looking for. Best part?.. fantastic shower arrangement in forward compartment...absolute bliss! Worst part?. Very expensive in comparison to more mass-produced boats.
Good luck with your search

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Wd be interested in you views on her - particularly what mods you wd suggest? Looked at her in January. I was concerned that the after cabins were a bit small. I had toyed with using the stb one as a work shop and then extending the port on einto the heads area to give visitors some proper space.

We would also want to have the "master berth" accessibe from both sides, (dont want to have to keep climbing over the wife) so would need to rearrage the forward cabins.

What did you do?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ric

Visit site
I did the Round the Island race on a SY38 in 1992. There was hardly any wind, and we were loaded up with beer not taking it seriously. About half way round we decided to listen in to the VHF and found we were third in class!

I then sailed on the same boat in the Med for a while. As others say, for a big cruiser they are very fast.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mkay47

Visit site
Not intending to live-aboard we made relatively few changes to standard layout. I can tell/warn you that additions and deviations do not come cheap from this yard, to say the least! We had the seat removed and more cupboard and drawer storage built in the owners cabin. Making this into a 'walk-around' would probably be ludicrously expensive!?.
We had some practical things.... Scandinavian stern anchor, removable bowsprit for chute, extra fuel tank, watermaker and a few more.
Anyway, climbing over the wife can be a way of 1. getting your own back, and 2. making vaguely suggestive comments in the morning..

<hr width=100% size=1>