Sweden Yachts Group - Malö etc…..

johnalison

Visit site
That’s sad. I have been graciously received on both stands at boat shows and have admired their boats even though I wasn’t intending to buy them. After visiting HR for our new boat I remember passing Malo’s tiny yard in comparison, which seemed more like a family business. Neither of them built boats that I wanted, but they were both a cut above the average.

ridgy

Visit site
Not a problem that is ever likely to affect me but buying new is the ultimate extravagance. Whether it be a house or a boat, just buy one a couple of years old and take ownership on the spot. So many issues with new builds of anything.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
That’s sad. I have been graciously received on both stands at boat shows and have admired their boats even though I wasn’t intending to buy them. After visiting HR for our new boat I remember passing Malo’s tiny yard in comparison, which seemed more like a family business. Neither of them built boats that I wanted, but they were both a cut above the average.
I’m rather biased…..

IMG_2024-03-31-212401.png

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Not a problem that is ever likely to affect me but buying new is the ultimate extravagance. Whether it be a house or a boat, just buy one a couple of years old and take ownership on the spot. So many issues with new builds of anything.
I think rich people probably have people to "run in" their new shoes for them...

benjenbav

Visit site
I was disappointed that they did not exhibit at Düsseldorf this year. Coupled with the fact that their website has been a bit static for a while, perhaps the writing was on the wall. Feel sorry for any customers who have lost out.

jlavery

Visit site
Reading the article, it seems the writer is of the opinion that Rutgersson was mismanaging the company and defrauding customers. A bit different to the more acceptable "they just couldn't make the margins because of the cost of good workmanship" line.

Very sad.

Disclosure - I've got a 1989 Sweden 36 and love it. Could never afford a new one!

jbweston

Visit site
I have owned a Malö 37, Penguin, for around 14 years (bought her new) and kept her for the last few years a few miles from Kungsviken where the Malö yard is located. It's on the island of Orust, and the boatbuilding community is quite a small one. I have no inside knowledge but it's been obvious that Malö has been operating for some years at a very much reduced capacity compared to the 2000s. The last couple of times I drove through Kungsviken past the Malö buildings there was no obvious sign of activity. In fact I was surprised to hear that they were building new boats at all.

Most of the island builders never recovered from the credit crunch of 2007-8. Regina of Vindö stopped building, Najad went bust more than once although I'm told recently they have some orders and are starting up again on a much reduced scale, and Malö suffered badly too.

Only Hallberg Rassy have been going strong (apparently), but they were a bigger yard than Malö. I believe before the credit crunch they sold 10 times the number of boats in one year than Malö did.

I have been enormously happy with Penguin. She was just what I wanted. I say 'was' because I'm in the process of selling her. She's sold now subject to a sea trial. But the fact is that a new Regina, Najad, or Malö was over twice the price, maybe three times, the price of a factory-built French or German boat and anyone selling that kind of premium product has a constant battle to convince customers that they're worth the money. Many buyers find a Bavaria or Dufour or Beneteau, or whatever, better value - either they pay much less for one than for a Swedish boat for the same size or can afford a much bigger boat for the same money.

It's sad news though. Have a pic of Penguin when she was nearly new.

Penguin.jpg

benjenbav

Visit site
I have owned a Malö 37, Penguin, for around 14 years (bought her new) and kept her for the last few years a few miles from Kungsviken where the Malö yard is located. It's on the island of Orust, and the boatbuilding community is quite a small one. I have no inside knowledge but it's been obvious that Malö has been operating for some years at a very much reduced capacity compared to the 2000s. The last couple of times I drove through Kungsviken past the Malö buildings there was no obvious sign of activity. In fact I was surprised to hear that they were building new boats at all.

Most of the island builders never recovered from the credit crunch of 2007-8. Regina of Vindö stopped building, Najad went bust more than once although I'm told recently they have some orders and are starting up again on a much reduced scale, and Malö suffered badly too.

Only Hallberg Rassy have been going strong (apparently), but they were a bigger yard than Malö. I believe before the credit crunch they sold 10 times the number of boats in one year than Malö did.

I have been enormously happy with Penguin. She was just what I wanted. I say 'was' because I'm in the process of selling her. She's sold now subject to a sea trial. But the fact is that a new Regina, Najad, or Malö was over twice the price, maybe three times, the price of a factory-built French or German boat and anyone selling that kind of premium product has a constant battle to convince customers that they're worth the money. Many buyers find a Bavaria or Dufour or Beneteau, or whatever, better value - either they pay much less for one than for a Swedish boat for the same size or can afford a much bigger boat for the same money.

View attachment 174822

I saw Penguin in Berthon’s list. Looks gorgeous. Hope the sale all goes smoothly.

Robih

Visit site

View attachment 174822

Great photo. 👍

E39mad

Visit site
Sad news about another quality builder. I really like the design of the Sweden Yachts and the Regina deck saloon yachts.

The choice for a purchaser seeking a none mass produced yacht of quality has narrowed even further.

jbweston

Visit site
I saw Penguin in Berthon’s list. Looks gorgeous. Hope the sale all goes smoothly.
I'm moving to the Dark Side - motor. I've bought a Sargo 31, now re-named Penguin, of course. At present she's in Falmouth, but I'm planning to base her on the Clyde.

It's quite a change for me. I've always enjoyed sailing single-handed and decided as I'm getting older there will come a time when I'm no longer as safe doing that as I was. Also I'm fed up with travelling by air round Europe. 'Old' Penguin has been in the Baltic since 2011 and, as my wife doesn't sail, I was travelling back and forth to the boat which became increasingly wearisome with overcrowded airports, missed connections and security delays. For the last few years I've had a mooring in the old Najad yard at Henån, Orust, and overwintered her under cover at a place called Svineviken, about 4 miles east of where she was built. That's where she is now. I've grown to love that part of the world and will miss it.

Great photo. 👍

Yes. It's a professional photo taken by Sailing Today in the Solent when they used Penguin for a review of the Malö 37.

Robih

Visit site
I'm moving to the Dark Side - motor. I've bought a Sargo 31, now re-named Penguin, of course. At present she's in Falmouth, but I'm planning to base her on the Clyde.

It's quite a change for me. I've always enjoyed sailing single-handed and decided as I'm getting older there will come a time when I'm no longer as safe doing that as I was. Also I'm fed up with travelling by air round Europe. 'Old' Penguin has been in the Baltic since 2011 and, as my wife doesn't sail, I was travelling back and forth to the boat which became increasingly wearisome with overcrowded airports, missed connections and security delays. For the last few years I've had a mooring in the old Najad yard at Henån, Orust, and overwintered her under cover at a place called Svineviken, about 4 miles east of where she was built. That's where she is now. I've grown to love that part of the world and will miss it.

Yes. It's a professional photo taken by Sailing Today in the Solent when they used Penguin for a review of the Malö 37.
We’ve been on the Clyde for eight years now with our M43, here to assist if you need any local intel. We keep the boat at Troon now but have been at JWD up until this year. Boat too heavy for JWD crane hence move to Troon.

Tranona

Visit site
Sad news about another quality builder. I really like the design of the Sweden Yachts and the Regina deck saloon yachts.

The choice for a purchaser seeking a none mass produced yacht of quality has narrowed even further.
The money has shifted from "more of the same" traditional to high tech, mainly multihulls or much bigger boats. It is the 11-15m traditional monos that have taken the hit particularly when the mass producers are concentrating on that size range.

johnalison

Visit site
They always looked to me like last year’s model HR.
They were certainly more conservative in design, but that didn’t make them a bad choice for someone who wanted a solid boat with a long waterline and a beautiful interior. They had encapsulated keels, at least they did 20 yrs ago, and that might not suit everyone.

Robih

Visit site
The article highlighted by the OP is quite damming regarding the recent behaviour of the company (or at least its owner)
Indeed, I expect we’ll never know the full story. I feel for the customer with the new Malö 43 in build, I’m guessing the cost will be near €750k; that’s a big loss. A part finished yacht is more a liability than an asset.