Suzuki DF 2.5 won't keep running

BelleSerene

Visit site
There are only two secrets: fit a small inline fuel filter for 50p and drain the carb using the fuel drain under the float bowl every time you leave the motor for more than a couple of weeks.

Richard - you have persuaded me. Would you recommend the tiny red inline one pictured here, or the longer one which presumably has a larger filter area but might be a tight fit?

ff2.jpg ff1.jpg

Also, do you fit an external tap to your fuel drain line, or use the carb's internal drain screw which requires a screwdriver to do the job?

Finally, do you decant the carb's fuel back into your jerrycan knowing that you feed the tank through a water separator and have that fuel filter fitted anyway, or do you dispose of it?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
You need the smallest filter. This is the one I bought second time: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141628932479?ViewItem=&item=141628932479

The total length is about 2 inches from tip to tip. The first ones I bought were over 3 inches (50mm I think) overall length but I had to buy a short length of fuel hose (I think it was 6mm ID) to try and fit the larger filter between the front edge of the casing and the engine, sort of underneath the carb, but I wasn't happy because it was rather jammed in. Once I bought the smaller filter that fits easily into the place where the larger filter was.

You could probably fit the smaller one into the fuel line that already runs between the fuel tap and the carb but I wouldn't because it will be extremely fiddly and equally difficult to change. I would buy a length of fuel hose and install it where I did. You can also easily adjust the angle of the filter so that all air is driven upwards and out.

You can then put a couple of inches of spare fuel hose onto the drain spigot and lead it so it protrudes outside the bottom of the power head by a cm or two which makes it easy to run the fuel into a small bottle or whatever. To be honest, you only get 50 mls or something out of the carb + hose + filter so I've just been collecting it the same a small bottle for the last few years and using it for cleaning mechanical parts etc. I might filter it back into my jerry can one day if the bottle gets full.

The first time you unscrew the drain screw, take it out completely and catch the little spring, then grease it properly and screw it back in with the spring and just nip it up. It tends to seize up in a couple of years but if you remove and re-grease every couple of years that keeps it turning smoothly. :)

I should add that when I've finished using the engine I close the fuel tap and just invert the entire engine for a couple of seconds and tip whatever's left in the tank into a funnel and straight back into the jerry can so all I have to drain out is the fuel line, filter and carb, with the tap open again, of course. That's the advantage of such a light engine.

Richard

Last edited:

Molteni

Visit site
Has anyone found a supplier of the correct fuel filter for the suzuki df 2.5 (2008 model) ? It's a very small unit which fits on the end of the fuel tap then inside the nozzle on the outlet of the plastic tank.
Thanks
Mike

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Has anyone found a supplier of the correct fuel filter for the suzuki df 2.5 (2008 model) ? It's a very small unit which fits on the end of the fuel tap then inside the nozzle on the outlet of the plastic tank.
Thanks
Mike
That filter is a bit too coarse. Left that where it was and fitted a small (shown in earlier posts) in the pipework

spower

Visit site
I don't know about the date and model number of the change, but that is apparently the change to make if you want to alleviate (but not remove) this problem with this engine. I posted some details of the jet changes on an earlier thread about the DF2.5 here: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?314023-Suzuki-DF-2-5-running-issues&p=5888030#post5888030. The changes proposed were to increase the Pilot Jet from #32 to #34 and the Main Jet from #64 to #66. In fact you could order the following parts (just Google them):

• 09491-66005 = Main Jet #66
  • 09492-34004 = Pilot Jet #34
  • (if necessary) 13236-97J20 = Main Nozzle

But this replacement does not override the advice here to run the engine dry before storing it and to change the fuel (including in your jerry can!) every now and again. If you don't do that, you will still get problems with this engine (and doubtless with others with similarly minute apertures when used with degrading fuel).
Hello friends, in the video you will see how I optimize the carburetor of a Suzuki df 2.5 hp outboard engine, for which I have ordered one size larger jets.
As the colleague described. I've filmed everything on the shift and setup.
🟠You can see the video here:
📖 In the description of the video I have written the numbers of the new jugglers.
📌An important moment is the removal of the metal cap of the carburetor and the adjustment of the hidden mixing screw under it.
🟢My idea is with these Walbro carburetor adjustments is to optimize the performance of the engine throughout the rev range.
As we know due to restrictions and reaching Euro 1, this engine has small jets that are often clogged by the ethanol in the gasoline. With this setup with the new jigs I hope that can be avoided.
🟢 If you have any questions, ask them in the comments below the video and I will answer you as soon as possible!
💚 Thanks for your time and stay healthy!

SaltIre

Visit site
Hello friends, in the video you will see how I optimize the carburetor of a Suzuki df 2.5 hp outboard engine, for which I have ordered one size larger jets.
As the colleague described. I've filmed everything on the shift and setup.
🟠You can see the video here:
📖 In the description of the video I have written the numbers of the new jugglers.
📌An important moment is the removal of the metal cap of the carburetor and the adjustment of the hidden mixing screw under it.
🟢My idea is with these Walbro carburetor adjustments is to optimize the performance of the engine throughout the rev range.
As we know due to restrictions and reaching Euro 1, this engine has small jets that are often clogged by the ethanol in the gasoline. With this setup with the new jigs I hope that can be avoided.
🟢 If you have any questions, ask them in the comments below the video and I will answer you as soon as possible!
💚 Thanks for your time and stay healthy!
🟢 Are you able to answer questions here?
💚 Hope you too stay healthy!

Neil

Visit site
It's thread like these that make you realise how poor the quality of the petrol. My Suzuki 2.5 was a great starter until it wasn't. It had been unused for a while and when I opened the carb drain, brown treacle dripped out. Opened the fuel cock and more brown stuff came out. Flushed through with fresh fuel and I was back in business. I now drain both the carb and the tank if I don't expect to use it for a while.

harvey38

Visit site
Sadly, I now have to use Aspen to keep mine from clogging, poor running and stalling at low speed. Expensive but stops the above so money well spent, not sure it will stop it dropping another push rod though :-(