Surveyor

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
Well, we've done it. We've paid a deposit on a Sadler 29 at Shotley. Foxes have given us a list of surveyors but how do I choose the right one? Anyone got any recomendations?

Also, we were offered two contracts; one subject to survey and sea trial, the other subject to survey and engine test. We've gone for 'subject to sea trial' reasoning that that includes engine test but why offer the just 'subject to engine test' only at all?

We will probably get the mechanic at Shotley to have a look at the engine when we launch anyway, as there is a fair bit of oil in the drip tray and furring around the raw water intake.

Maybe I'll have to change my user name now! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stevebrassett

Visit site
I didn't have a sea trial when I bought my boat, as that would have involved me paying for the crane in and out. I didn't regret my decision. They can probably carry out the engine test out of the water.

dombuckley

Visit site
Whichever surveyor you call, you should ask them:

1. Are they a member of a trade organisation? IIMS or YBDSA are the usual suspects.

2. Do they carry Professional Indemnity Insurance, and which company? Usually Galatea, but Circle is another.

3. What experience do they have of your type of boat? The unsinkable sadlers can be quite knotty beasts to survey, as you can't get to the inside of most of the hull.

4. What do they cover in the survey? For example, some do engine tests, but others don't. Many will e-mail a sample of a recent survey report, so you can judge how thorough they are, what testing methods they use, and so on.

5. When can they do they survey? Many brokers want your decision within 14 days after the offer has been accepted, so a surveyor who cant fit you in for 4 weeks isn't going to be much use to you.

6. Finally, filthy lucre. The one everybody moans about, but probably the least priority in comparison to the above.

Hope this helps