Surveyor Recommendation Wanted

chriscallender

Visit site
Hi,

I'm wanting to get my boat surveyed for insurance renewal purposes in the very near future. Rather than take pot luck with choosing a surveyor from the classified ads, I thought I would see if anyone has any recommendations of someone who has done a good job for them in the past.

The boat is a Seal 28, and I'm planning to have her lifted out at Northney, Chichester Harbour for the survey. I'm also wanting to do it fairly urgently, either late this week, or sometime next week (I've checked that I can still get lifted out for then if I book it all soon).

Thanks for any advice ... or even some clues on who to avoid - by PM if need be...

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

M_Russell

Visit site
When I bought my Moody 29 a couple of months back I used Jim Pritchard after glowing recommendations. He was very thorough and profesional. Only problem is he may be too thorough if you only want it for insurance purposes.

Jim Pritchard, Cowes, IOW.
Tel: 01983 297872
web: www.jimpritchard.co.uk

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
2 sides to every story...

i also used mr pritchard 2 years ago. i'm still waiting for the completed report!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

JMM

Visit site
ANTHONY STAPLEY & ASSOCIATES
YACHT AND SMALL CRAFT SURVEYORS
Deacons Boatyard
Bridge Road, Bursledon
Southampton, Hampshire SO31 8AZ
Telephone/Facsimile : 01703 407407 Mobile : 0589 273983

Diana Roberts of the above company surveyed my boat a couple of years ago - very professional and competitively priced.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jon M.

M_Russell

Visit site
Re: 2 sides to every story...

While your here, I've been meaning to ask.. Why isn't Snowleopard in the water yet?
<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by M_Russell on 09/06/2003 21:24 (server time).</FONT></P>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: 2 sides to every story...

because i'm busy moving house. as soon as the papers are signed we're off to plymouth.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SimonD

Visit site
I've also just been looking for a surveyor for my purchase. Can't offer any particular recommendations, but I have found that some are VAT registered and some are not. Seems bizarre, but those who aren't registered are about 17.5% cheaper than those who are!

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
Thanks to all for the advice, I'm now booked in with Jim Pritchard - hopefully the report will come in less than 2 years :-( ! Anyway I spoke to most of the suggestions I've had, the surveyors are all pretty booked up and Jim was the only one that could squeeze me in next week... so that more or less decided it.

Now fingers crossed that there are no serious problems found by the survey!!! (I know already the gas cooker will have to be replaced by a spirit one as an easy fix rather than a CORGI marine fitter upgrading the gas installation with a flame failure device cooker etc...$$$££$$$$, wonder why I replaced all the rubber hose and regulator over the winter).

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
gas fitters

aren't all too expensive. we used a guy from fareham who did an efficient job and charged a very reasonable rate. i can give you details if you like.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
Not bizarre..

..or were you being ironic?

If you pay a VAT registered surveyor £117.50, he keeps £100 (before NI and tax). If you pay a non-VAT registered surveyor £100, he keeps £100 (before NI and tax).

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
Re: Not bizarre..

Isn't it also true that the VAT registered surveyor claims back VAT on all his costs - fuel receipts, office rental, equipment purchases, etc. etc. etc.

I'm no accountant, just a tax payer :-( so my only memory of this is from doing "Modern Studies O grade" at school a long time ago (early Margaret Thatcher days) but isn't it true because of this that the VAT registered surveyor charging 117.50 is doing somewhat better overall than the non-vaty guy charging 100....? Depending of course on whether his costs and outgoings are a significant part of the £100 or not.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
Re: gas fitters

Thanks snowleopard, I might well be interested in the details of this guy. I'll wait and see what recommendations I get re gas but I am 99.9% certain there will be work there.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
They're not, they're 14.9% cheaper. You should see your old Maths master and demand a refund!
(don't you remember those blooming questions - if the whole price (100%) = £117.5, what percentage does £100 represent?)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
Re: Not bizarre..

Yes - a VAT registered surveyor can (in general) recover VAT paid on his costs. But, as you realise, his costs may not be a very high proportion of his revenue. Yacht surveying is a personal service and I would think that most yacht surveyors are one man bands operating from home, so do not incur significant costs on which they have paid input tax. The VAT registration threshold is currently £55,000, so it seems that non-VAT registered surveyors are not exactly at the top of the earnings scale.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SimonD

Visit site
I do remember those questions, and thanks very much for reminding me - brings back many happy memories. (That's ironic).

But, notwithstanding the maths, the economics says, other things being equal (economists always say that) a VAT registered surveyor will cost you more than a non-register surveyor. So there!

Now, if a train leaves London at a speed of 50mph two hours before a second train..........

<hr width=100% size=1>